DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone needs it here's the diagram for our trucks for all the speakers. DG is Dark Green, GY Is Grey, Yel is Yellow, LV is Lavender.

Don't mind my sloppy notes on the diagram. This diagram came from ALL DATA by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the colors be the same for the non-alpine models?
Don't quote me on this but two different people I spoke to stated the wiring colors are the same on the NON Alpine models, but the polarity is reversed on the Non-Alpine models....meaning that say the Passenger side Dark Green wire with yellow stripe would be POSITIVE, and the Dark Green stripe with Lavender/Purple would be NEGATIVE.

As you can see on the diagram, the wire colors for the Alpine model are the same, but the Lavender is POSITIVE while the Yellow is NEGATIVE.

·
Premium Member
32,612 Posts
There is a website that everyone should bookmark, it has the wiring setup, BUT, no images
for
Car Stereo Wiring Diagrams, Car Alarm Wiring Diagrams, Remote Start Wiring Diagrams, Car Light Bulb Size Guides

http://www.modifiedlife.com/

·
Registered
306 Posts
yes, that is correctr i have the non alpine system and recently installed all new gear, the wire colors were the same, but the poliarity was opp. the alpine system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Alpine system in my truck and want to add aftermarket amp and subs but keep the other speakers and nav head unit. Is just adding the rca line out converter OK? If so, is a simple model good or is there a premium model that needs to be used? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Alpine system in my truck and want to add aftermarket amp and subs but keep the other speakers and nav head unit. Is just adding the rca line out converter OK? If so, is a simple model good or is there a premium model that needs to be used? Any tips would be appreciated.

i have the same exact question

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Alpine system in my truck and want to add aftermarket amp and subs but keep the other speakers and nav head unit. Is just adding the rca line out converter OK? If so, is a simple model good or is there a premium model that needs to be used? Any tips would be appreciated
Jared (Dodgeman) can answer this question best but from my understanding our Ram's only give a full range signal to THE FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS. That full range signal is 20hz-20khz so those front speakers HAVE to be Tapped in order to get the full range signal. The dash and rear speakers only produce signals in specific ranges/frequencies so you can't tap them or you'll get no bass. I've learned a lot from members on this forum and the basis of this is that you can use a LOC, but you still need to tap to get that full range signal from the front doors, one way or the other.

The stock Alpine speakers are pretty bad..no real clarity with mids or highs so not sure why you would want to keep them, but either way you'll still need to get that full range signal to your aftermarket amp no matter what route you go. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where does the signal branch for the dash & rear overhead speakers? There's no output on the amp for these so where do they get their signal from?

I'm assuming the front door speakers signals are spliced up to the dash, but where is the crossover done? I can't see the 3.5 dash speakers being fed the same full range signal as the 6x9 door speakers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Which of these speakers are considered the dash speakers? I/P?
According to this, which ones need to be tapped for the full range?
Which colors feed the two rear roof speakers.
I Really am starting to dislike this whole wiring system...

Amplified Right Rear...but not Amplified Left Rear????

14 Grey/Brown..... Amplified Subwoofer 1 (+)
6 Dark Green/Brown ..... Amplified Subwoofer 1 (-)
8 Grey/Violet..... Left Front Speaker(+)
16 Grey/Yellow..... Left Front Speaker(-)
7 Dark Green/Violet..... Right Front Speaker (+)
15 Dark Green/Yellow..... Right Front Speaker (-)
13 Grey/Light Green ..... Left Rear Speaker (+)
5 Grey/Dark Green..... Left Rear Speaker (-)
4 Dark Green/Light Green..... Right Rear Speaker(+)
12 Dark Green/Grey..... Right Rear Speaker(-)
10 Dark Green..... Amplified Right Rear speaker (+)
2 Yellow/Grey..... Amplified Right Rear Speaker (-)
3 Grey ...... Amplified Center I/P speaker (+)
11 Grey/Orange ..... Amplified Center I/P speaker (-)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where does the signal branch for the dash & rear overhead speakers? There's no output on the amp for these so where do they get their signal from?

I'm assuming the front door speakers signals are spliced up to the dash, but where is the crossover done? I can't see the 3.5 dash speakers being fed the same full range signal as the 6x9 door speakers.
See attached. You can covert file to excel for sorting or grouping.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Im about to start wiring my truck for the same setup(amp,sub,loc)and now after reading all this...im confused....lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Im about to start wiring my truck for the same setup(amp,sub,loc)and now after reading all this...im confused....lol
May as well post your questions, somebody should be able to help. I spent a good part of the day researching how to install the JBL MS8 to the factory stereo. hemirae's sheet is invaluable. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If i want to just add a amp and sub to the alpine system,which wires and where do i tie the LOC in at??Behind the radio or at the amp,i am kinda lost and dont want to play the trial and error game...lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
If i want to just add a amp and sub to the alpine system,which wires and where do i tie the LOC in at??Behind the radio or at the amp,i am kinda lost and dont want to play the trial and error game...lol
Well, that's a good question.

From the reading I've done, only the FRONT DOORS have full range sound fed to them (20-20khz), this is downstream of the amp. So you should be OK tapping into them at the amp location.

HOWEVER,

The instructions that come with my JBL MS8 (basically a LOC & Sound processor) say that to tie in to systems with factory amps and subwoofer, all three (front doors and sub) channels must feed the line in signals.

I'm going to try the front L-R wires right at the deck, as that's where the PAC Audio LOC harness's take off from. To make things easier for trial and error, I got a bunch of spade connectors like these:

and made up a harness for the MS8 so I can plug directly in to the wires and when I cut wires that I shouldn't have, I can just plug these back in, without having to solder and tape.

You can get fully insulated Male and Female ones at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I've been through most of the pages of this forum looking answers. Much like alot of others, I'm keeping everything stock, just putting a couple of tens under the back seat just like I've done in my 2002 and 2004 dodge ram quad cabs. I thought I could just do it the same as I've done in the past, but now I'm running into problems. I tapped my line out converter into the left rear door speaker, as I've always done, and I get nothing. Reading on here, it appears I have to tap into the front door speaker.....does this sound correct? I don't want to get the PAC audio unit because I already have a chr550 lockpick installed. Any help regarding this LOC would be much appreciated, it's the last piece of the puzzle

1 - 20 of 25 Posts