DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been searching everywhere for an answer to a problem I've been having with no luck, I've found some useful stuff lurking on this forum so hopefully someone can help me out.

I bought a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab with the 5.7 in October, it has some minor modifications and 119K miles, about a month ago I noticed it had started idling hard immediately upon startup and a slight ticking noise, but I just figured it was because the weather was getting colder and didn't think anything of it, once the truck runs for about 10 minutes it stops, and I am always very good with letting it warm up before I drive when it is cold. About a week after that my check engine light came on, I checked the code and saw it was a P300 (multiple cylinder misfire), I cleared it and hoped it was some bad gas or something, but then the code popped again the next day, this time it said the P300 again and cylinder #5 was missing. That weekend I went ahead and swapped all of the plugs, I noticed they were almost brand new and couldn't have had more than 15k miles on them, but figured I already bought the plugs and might as well throw the new ones in just in case. At the same time I swapped the coil packs between #5 and #3 to see if it was the pack.

The truck ran great for about a week and then started idling hard and ticking again upon startup, no better or worse that the initial issue, and now randomly throws the P300, it has thrown P300 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and once said that #6 is missing. One thing I have noticed is that the truck only seems to do this when it is below 35 degrees outside and it has been sitting for a while. At this point I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem before and could give me some input, I don't want to start tearing too deep into the engine or my wallet if it is a simple fix that I'm overlooking. Like I said, the only time I have a problem is for the first 5-10 min after initial startup, when it is below 35 degrees, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Hi, Jake, and thanks for joining the RamforumZ. I encourage you to stop by the Newbie Checkin section and introduce yourself so other members and give you a proper how-do-ya-do.

Step 1: Move south.

Step 2: Good luck with finding a solution.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
What kind of plugs are in there? If you have platinums or iriduims then you can have those kinds of issues. If you don't have copper plugs then get some and i bet it solves your problem. I recommend NGKs; Moes has a good deal on them

http://www.moes-perfor mance.com/NGK_OEM_Spark_Plugs_for_09_Up_5_7L_Hemi_p/splzfr5c-11.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts