DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Doesn't look like it's too much. It's not sagging very much. Today's travel trailers don't have near the tongue weight they did 15-20 years ago.

Looks like a nice set-up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even a slight sag with the coil springs can cause a bounce even at slow Highway speeds. I recomend the air bag inserts they are under $100 and make a huge imporovment.

My truck starts to sag much more when I have the families bikes, wood and other camping gear loaded up. Are you fully loaded in the pic?

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I responded with this in your other thread (it was moved to the 4th gen-towing section)

ArmyofOne said:
First and foremost, Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

Your truck is rated to tow at least 6500lbs, Depending on how its equipped, it could be rated as high as 8,000. Do you know what gear ratio you have (3:55, 3:92 w/limited slip...etc)? I see that you have the hemi, so even with a high gear ratio in the diffs (3:55) you still should be rated at well over 6500lbs.

How much does your trailer weigh? At 33 feet I cannot imagine it is light, you may notice something profound almost as soon as you set your trailer on your hitch. With a tongue weight of more than about 450 lbs, Your truck will go from raked (the front end lower than the rear), to level or squatting. Your coil springs may collapse under the weight, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where the good folks at Total Load Control Suspensions come in. TLC will not only hook you up with great customer service, but Ramforumz members even get discounted pricing on their kits. This system is designed and patented specifically for 2009+ Ram 1500's. It will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability.

Shoot me a message at [email protected]_this_part_yahoo.com and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Please let me know if there are any other questions you have, I will be watching this thread to assist further as well. Happy Travels!
As you can see, I HIGHLY reccomend Total Load Control to help you eliminate some of the stress on your suspension. It may not be much stationary, but as someone else already explained, a bump at highway speeds could bottom you out, and that trailer could wear your shocks prematurely. TLC will elimate the extra wear and tear on your suspension because the bags support the weight, not the springs/shocks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Sorry for the late response. The TT has a dry weight of 6800 pounds. The picture is not loaded but I did have it pretty loaded with bikes, camping gear, Family of 5, etc. last weekend and had very little sag which suprised me actually. I do have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars but other then that just stock. I had the factory 3.21 rear end and swaped out to a 3.92 w/ limited slip because I knew I was getting the trailer. I am going to Arizona next month and I guess that will be a pretty good test of power,ride, etc. What do you think would be signs that I may need to get mods to my suspension? Any suggestions would be appreciated......Thanks again.....

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Check with TLC as mentioned
you are well within towing specs even with everything loaded & the people
I tend to go a bit overboard when it comes to safety

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looking good man. Have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should know pretty quick at close to highway speed if some suspension assistance will help. It doesn't take much for a slow bounce to begin, if it does slow down and add the bags when you get back home. I've gone with the Air lift bags($90). With my dual sport bike and 26BH hooked up the sag was more then I liked and had an uncomorting bounce.

$90 and an hour of my time problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input all! I will post again when I get back from my trip to see how it went...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry for the late response. The TT has a dry weight of 6800 pounds. The picture is not loaded but I did have it pretty loaded with bikes, camping gear, Family of 5, etc. last weekend and had very little sag which suprised me actually. I do have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars but other then that just stock. I had the factory 3.21 rear end and swaped out to a 3.92 w/ limited slip because I knew I was getting the trailer. I am going to Arizona next month and I guess that will be a pretty good test of power,ride, etc. What do you think would be signs that I may need to get mods to my suspension? Any suggestions would be appreciated......Thanks again.....
Your truck isn't rated to tow that trailer, your truck is only rated to tow 5700 lbs, according to this. Changing out the ring and pinion made your truck more capable, but it's still only rated for 5700 lbs. You may run into trouble with the law.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Your truck isn't rated to tow that trailer, your truck is only rated to tow 5700 lbs, according to this. Changing out the ring and pinion made your truck more capable, but it's still only rated for 5700 lbs. You may run into trouble with the law.
Not sure where you read that number, I read 7200 lbs according to what you listed there. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I should clarify. The GCWR isn't in and of itself a legally binding number, the way GVWR is. It's just a manufacturers recommendation. Some states base the legal tow rating on the GCWR, and some don't. Insurance companies pay attention to the GCWR too. If you're exceeding your GCWR, and you get into an accident, good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would say your good to go, truck is capable of it and especially with a weight distribution hitch. I also installed airbags and recently put some bump stop extenders to help the sag, they work pretty nice but the ride is a lil stiffer empty. I've got 4.56 on mine with 35" tires and the gear change was the best thing i did, now i can pull that trailer without downshifting or struggling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts