DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi...im new...its weird....bought truck new...now has 175K....automatic 4x4....Ive taken a trip 3x in the last 3 months...every single time, I get done a 20 mile highway stretch right at 60 mph, about 1500 rpm....its totally flat and because of police, I maintain this speed...rpms stay the same and the trans isnt shifting...when I get to the exit with traffic light...I sit for minute or so...light turns green...depress gas pedal...weirdness!!....feels like its running on 4 cyclinders, blowing blue smoke out...sputtering...then in less than a minute, it starts to cough and clear itself and the smoke stops....then it happens a few more times on this trip...its very flat, so the trans isnt shifting and rpms arent changing alot...the first time I made this trip...same exit, same same deal....on the way home...long flat stretch...long traffic light...it really sputtered and coughed and poured smoke so bad, I thought she swallowed a valve....then it cleared up....NO CODES....???...wtheck...without codes, the dealer hasnt gotten a clue...i know its not the gas....this time filled with high test....I know its not the bad exhaust from the first 2 trips...pipe has been replaced...

the truck sometimes puffs blue smoke upon cold startup....but these times its up to temp...for over an hour...it makes me nervous because I lost my lifetime powertrain warranty because I didnt remember the 5 year inspection..also didnt get the reminder in the mail...but, I dont think its the actual engine...she runs pretty good....other than a dead spot around 1500 rpm...its had as long as I can remember...no power at that spot...always gotta push some pedal to drop a gear...maybe this is related....huh??....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe needs new plugs. Are they the original plugs?
no...had them changed......I think it has something to do with the engine shutting down cylinders....this same drive creates the perfect scenario to shut them down....20 plus miles...flat...60 mph...1500 rpm...no fluctuations...im hearing there is some plug in thing that keeps the engine running all 8 cylinders....3 trips...same thing...long, flat, no traffic...my dad warning me of cops...so im just stayin at 60 mph....thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts