DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,,

I have a '09 1500 4x4 CC hemi, 35" tires 3.73. Most days i love my truck. Like most folks i use my truck for work. On these days i am a little embarrassed. the first time i put 10 80# bags of quickrete over the rear axle and it squatted like a puppy taking a leak i was shocked. i understand it is a .5 ton truck but so have most of my others and they never did that. It rides like a dream and i assume thats the trade off.

I am hoping to buy a camper soon and want to make some changes before i do. i have Bilstein 5100's all around. the brakes are getting ready to be changed, any suggestions er would be great. i will most likley add air bag helpers. should i go for a gear swap? if so 3.92 or 4.11? i am thinking of adding a tuner and muffler swap as well. Has anyone changed that stupid Y pipe and seen any benefits?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
Do you have coil springs or leaf springs in the rear? It's not the payload that's embarrassing, but the sorry ass OEM springs. You can replace the radar springs to reduce the amount of squat. If you look at my truck in my signature you'll see a 1500 with about 1000lbs of tools equipment in the back and no squat. I didn't increase my payload, but made my truck able to handle it's allowable payload in a proper fashion.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I have 34s with 3.21's and no problem pulling my 7000lb TT. So I don't see you needing to change your gears. A muffler swap will give you better sound, but no performance gains at all. If you're looking for more power I suggest long tube headers with new high flow cats. Then a tuner with a custom tune after the headers are installed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
even when using a weight distribution towing my travel trailer the truck sagged something terrible. i went the air lift 5000 ultimate kit. best investment i ever made. it was a little over the top for a half ton but was nice to have a on board compressor and put whatever i wanted for air in the back.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Upgrade to Tuftruck springs; they went with linear rate coils on the 4th gen Rams for some reason, whereas leaf packs are progressive like the 1223V springs I put in my Ram.

You need to look back into what gear ratio you have though; Ram hasn't offered 3.73s on a 1/2 ton truck since I've been alive

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My 07 1500 Mega Cab had 3.73's and it was classified as a 1/2 ton. :wavey:
I knew someone would say that.

We both know that's a lightly sprung 2500.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Lightly sprung to a 1/2 ton capacity?

Yeah the 3rd gen Mega Cab 1500s were built on a 2500 chassis, so the 4x4s have a solid front axle and they all have 8 lug hubs and use 2500 chassis parts aside from softer springs to keep the GVWR under 8500lbs and make it a 1/2 ton/class 2a truck.

Ram actually had a "Tradesman HD" model for 2011 and IIRC 2012- I won't go into the heavy half ton conversation that comes up in threads about Nissans, but it was a "1500" that came only with a regular cab, 8' bed, and in 2wd with the 5.7 Hemi. It had the 383 HP tune that the HD 5.7L Rams get and 8 lug hubs. IIRC it also only had 4.10 gears-effectively a RCLB 2wd 2500 gasser with a 1500 front clip. It had like a 3200lb payload and 11,000lb+ tow capacity:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/03/more-options-for-ram-tradesman-1500.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts