DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a newbie here as far as posts go but use the site a lot to look up problem solving answers. I was a Chrysler mech back in the day so I do all my own work. I know pretty much what I'm doing. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD 5.7 Hemi. My truck since day 1 has always ran at 194 deg, maybe going up to 197 deg if I got into it on a hot day or going up a really steep grade on the mountains in western Maryland. I live in Annapolis, Md. I noticed the truck running a little warm once in awhile here recently. Decided to change the heater hoses, thermostat(for the 3rd time), flush all coolant and refill with HOAT coolant. I flushed everything while it was off meaning ran clean water thru heater core, blew water thru engine block, ran water thru radiator. No build up of ant kind. looked new. Clutch fan was wobbley and got replaced. Now for no reason the truck will creep up to 201 for no reason on highway and in town. No leaks. Burped. Bad new stat? It's been pretty hot here in Maryland but never has my truck run this hot. I know it's only 6-8 deg but we all know our trucks and something seems strange. Antifreeze at perfect mixture - Minus 35 deg and boil over at 265 deg. I need some 2 cents. Top hose is hard and hotter than hell and bottom is much cooler, which is normal. Stat is only change that would cause this sudden change to me. What do u guys think.

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
I also have an '09 Ram 1500 QC HEMI
I guess i have been lucky, i at one time had a Check Engine Light
The dealership did a full flush & changed the thermostat, it now runs like new
My belts & hoses have never been changed & the dealership told me that they are still good, 6 years old as of last February, 133,000 miles

I am the original owner & it came with a Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine just turned 100,000. Just changed the belt and hoses for the first time and I really think they looked fine. I do alot of preventive maintencance but my truck really hasn't needed it. I took the throttle body off the other day and cleaned, and ran some seafoam thru it and it really didn't have much carbon buildup. I had an 06 Hemi and traded it in for the 09 when they went to 390 hp. I had too. LOL!

·
Premium Member
32,591 Posts
I too have had a lot preventative maintenance done
all of the fluids have been flushed, brake fluid was almost dark brown
fuel injection system & throttle body have been cleaned twice now at a ASE Certified shop they also ran it on a DYNO one time

Transmission has been serviced twice
I have changed the spark plugs twice using the OEM NGK brand

I did the Required 100,000 mile Check Up to keep the Factory Lifetime Warranty in effect

I run Mobile One 5w-20, ( it came from the factory with conventional Mobile Oil )
i use WIX oil filters

Someone will be getting a good Ram in about 6 months :)
By then i will have a 2016 Ram Eco-diesel outfitted for my business

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Welcome aboard! This place is full of great people with great ideas. If you need any help just ask

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome fellows. I do have a question which I posted at the beginning of this thread. Maybe you can shed some light on my problem. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts