DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Is the steering loose on your 2010 Ram Heavy Duty 4x4?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could be better

• Suck it up, it's a Heavy Duty, not a Sports Car

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I bought a 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Short TRX4 4x4 CTD automatic last thursday, and the steering has been sloppy and wandering, so I took it in today to have them take a look at it. Well, it appears my steering gearbox is bad (and, apparently, came from the factory like that) and they will be installing a new one tomorrow. I researched this problem, and a major automitive magazine also noticed a lot (15-20 degrees) of play in the new 2010 Ram heavy duty....anyone else have this problem?? I'm hoping it isn't a common problem as I would like my $52k truck to drive better than my '85 Bronco, which has 190,000mi on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...it's in the shop again, for the same steering problem. The service manager didn't even have to drive it. He looked under the truck, while I wiggled the steering wheel....got me a rental (on them, of course), with no eta on completion....Pretty pissed, as I've spent $100k on Chrysler/Dodge vehicles in the past year.....would like this fixed ASAP....

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
that sucks hope it works out

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Well look at it this way , at least the service manager has stepped up for ya . Yeah it's not right but give them a chance . It should of been fixed right the first time . Obviously theres a problem .

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
A service manager that didn't test drive it or bother to put it on a lift? Most service managers I ever knew don't know a wheel bearing from a muffler bearing. I have yet to see any of the '10 models come into our shop with steering problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was out of alignment (.09 toe now, vs .19?), and the steering wheel is straightened...still loose, IMHO. The tech, who specializes on heavy duty's even said that he and others have noticed that the '10's feel looser than even the 09's. Guess I'll just have to adjust to and live it....

·
Registered
522 Posts
:smiledown:......... NOPE........ If it is still loose I would take it back in and have them fix the issue. The steering box should be better if anything when compared to the 2009 Trucks :box: ..... Make them fix it!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
I wonder if they have changed their caster spec . If it feels like it wonders they could increase the caster and it would better it . Not sure how it actually feels , so I figured I would through that out there .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely need to take it to another, independent, alignment shop, if they have the '10 alignment specifications (was told that '10 is different than '09)....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still working with Chrysler (and the dealer) on a buyback...This thing is UNSAFE to drive on a two lane highway at night....constantly wanders and needs constant correction...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did they try to adjust the steering box ?
I had one replaced and they adjusted it too tight. It would hunt, or go from side to side. At first I thought it was wandering, but when I really observed it, it was really going were I put the wheel and staying there (like point & shoot) and not returning to center. It required constant input to keep it in my lane.

I loosened it a little (1/4 or 1/2 a turn) and then it steered great. Now it returns to center by itself and is effortless to drive.

Just a thought.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The steering gear in your 2500 is the recirculating ball type. DR/DS body 1500's use rack and pinion so that adjustment doesn't apply to them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The steering box is a NEW part for 2010. I know. They replaced mine at 435mi. It's still horrible on-center, and demands constant "coaxing" to drive in the desired direction. Spoke with my "case worker" at Impartial Service Group (Chrysler's repurchase company), and was told that the Service Manager told her that my vehicle was "within specs". It "clunks" when you move the steering wheel back and forth, engine turned off, and there is tons of play.

Go under your 2010's (engine off, keys out) and move the steering input shaft back and forth by hand. How much movement? Mine's about 1/8 turn. And it clunks...like backlash is waaay off.

Anyone live in Colorado is more than welcome to come see me in Fort Collins and look at it/take it for a drive. Everyone who has looked at it (except the dealer, of course) and driven it says it's definitely not right...

I know how to adjust the steering box, and would love to, but not while it's under waranty....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just looked at the first post, and it's a 2500. So doesn't it have a steering box and adjustment like my 04 ?

If it does then maybe ask the dealer to try to adjust it. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's adjusted right. Or better yet if you know how to do it, then do it. They will not know unless you tell them. Some dealers don't care or know about service unless they are going to make $$$$$, especially if it's a flat rate shop, so they may bullshit you and say it's OK.

I know it would piss me off to if I had to work on my new truck, but adjusting the steering box is not all that involved, so I would check it myself. It will be worth it if you can make it better.

I went threw the same thing when my box got replaced. I told them something wasn't right and they told me it was OK. Then I took it home and adjusted it myself and now it's great. Then I told them what I found and I got the "deer in the headlight look".

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I agree....lazy dealers would rather throw replacement parts at it than adjust/repair existing parts....sounds/feels like it needs over-center preload adjustment, http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steering/steering_gear/Adjust.htm, which I know how to do, but don't want to do anything to muck up the ongoing legal battle...

Hell, several 2010 Heavy Dutys that I drove felt loose in the steering, and the replacement gearbox is loose.... Car and Driver even noted in their review: "...The steering, however, is just as dull and unresponsive right off-center as in the 1500, requiring up to 15 degrees of steering-wheel rotation to get those front wheels to bite into a turn (at which point they do abruptly)." Sounds like it's not an isolated problem.... Can't wait for the $ when I sue Chrysler/Fiat for the accident this causes... Class Action, anyone?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts