DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a 2010 dodge ram 1500 regular cab with the factory NAV deck. I am wondering if there is a way to install a (tailgate camera) backup cam that would work through the factory deck? I've searched the web but I can't seem to find anything that answers my question. Do any of you know if you can, or how to install one?

Thanks,

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't answer everything, my case is different. If you want to keep your factory unit (not saying you can't use factory unit, I'm not sure) they sell screens that look like a GPS and can mount it anywhere, for example beside your rear view mirror, and obviously thats your screen then.

But I just installed a pioneer nav unit in my 10' and used an aftermarket license plate camera, ran wiring on the inside on the frame rails, and thankfully found a grommet/opening right under the driver seat to enter the cab! Score.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes you can add a camera to the deck.

You can find the FCA kits on Ebay, Amazon or purchase them from the dealer or one of our online advertisers for RAM. They are pretty easy to install, the most difficult part is tapping into the TIPM in front of the battery. You could also have someone do the install. The kit will have the install instructions

You will also need the dealer to update the PCM with the XAC sales code for the camera to operate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2012-D...ash=item3f311567c5:g:X1EAAOSw2x1XK27x&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
58 Posts
In installed a backup camera in my 2011 regular cab. Great addition. Physical install in tailgate is fairly easy. Routing the wires can be frustrating but there are good instructions in the kit. You may want to check with a dealership to confirm the wiring at the TIPM. There was an error in the instructions for my model year.

·
Registered
15,651 Posts
I can't answer everything, my case is different. If you want to keep your factory unit (not saying you can't use factory unit, I'm not sure) they sell screens that look like a GPS and can mount it anywhere, for example beside your rear view mirror, and obviously thats your screen then.

But I just installed a pioneer nav unit in my 10' and used an aftermarket license plate camera, ran wiring on the inside on the frame rails, and thankfully found a grommet/opening right under the driver seat to enter the cab! Score.
any chance you can post some pics of the grommet under the cab? tks

·
Premium Member
32,732 Posts
If you have a touch screen radio, you can install & use the OEM tailgate handle backup camera, without adding another monitor

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sure thing boss, here you go, grommet is circled in red. You can see my running boards at the bottom, its right on the other side of the body. Sorry for the small picture, not sure why but I can't get it any bigger, you get the idea though! Let me know when you see it, can't miss it. You can pop it out to make sure, feed something down just to give you peace of mind thats the correct one.

any chance you can post some pics of the grommet under the cab? tks

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The best bet is to run the wires up to the driver side firewall and behind the wheel well cover.

On the fire wall you will see a rubber boot going into the cab, it has a major harness running through it. It also has a little rubber nipple extension and if you trim the ends it will give you access to the cab so you can run the wires through it. Just touch up the ends with RTV when done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I saw it done the way I did on youtube and didn't see any reason not to do it this way, whichever way works though. :smileup: Let us know what you end up doing!
The best bet is to run the wires up to the driver side firewall and behind the wheel well cover.

On the fire wall you will see a rubber boot going into the cab, it has a major harness running through it. It also has a little rubber nipple extension and if you trim the ends it will give you access to the cab so you can run the wires through it. Just touch up the ends with RTV when done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts