DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with about 103,000 miles on it. Long story short is that I have been having trouble with it misfiring for the last year or so. The misfire is on cylinder 1 and mostly occurs when I try to accelerate quickly. The check engine light flashes and the truck starts to run pretty rough and shakes pretty badly. I also feel a loss of power and have trouble accelerating speed. When it first happened, the shop told me it was most likely due to a bad ignition coil and the need of new spark plugs. I got the ignition coil swapped and all 16 plugs changed. This solved my problem for about a month until the truck started back with the same issues. The shop told me that couldn’t tell me what was wrong now without taking apart the engine but not too worry about it unless it really bothered me and that no further damage was being done.

Knowing that I have an emissions test coming up I took it to a different shop to have the issue looked at. Now they are telling me that the misfire is being caused by a failing MDS lifter/camshaft and repairs will be in the $4,500 to $5,500 range. That this is a known issue with these trucks and it is nothing that really could have prevented it but it is more of a ‘design flaw’. The shop said there really isn’t a cheaper/temporary fix and this is the only way to fix the problem. Also when I asked them, they said that continuing to drive the truck with this issue won’t cause any further damage since the damage has already been done. According to them, one of the cylinders is pretty much already ‘offline’.

I have a couple of questions hoping some of y’all will beable to help me with.

• Is it true that continuing to drive it won’t cause any further damage and that it isn’t unsafe? I think I might be able to ‘baby’ it and really limit the number of times it misfires where the check engine light starts coming on. It mostly only happens trying to accelerate quickly or going up large hills. Any negatives of continuing to drive it without getting it fixed?

• How do you think it would affect the trade in value? Considering the truck is 8 yearsold with over 100,000 miles on it, I don’t think I want to spend this kind to repair it at this point. There is no guarantee that another costly repair is needed further down theline. What’s the chance that adealership doesn’t even discover the issue. Or if they do would they just take the cost of repair off the normal trade in value?
Right now the check engine light if off. I went to get the emissions tested and itfailed. But not because it read anyengine codes but because the monitors were ‘not ready’. The emissions tech told me to drive about 50miles to ‘cycle’ the drive and take it back to retest. I am hoping to be able to do that withouthaving the check engine light come on.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions on what I should do.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts