DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
if u still have the stock thermostat then u can leave the fan temps where they are if u'd like. u can have them turn on at 200 i suppose if u really wanted too. i would wait till u go down to a 180 t stat before adjusting it though imho.

·
Registered
690 Posts
agreed^. With the stock tstat turning on the efan won't do a whole lot of good earlier. It's a bad ass fan but without the coolant circulating also I doubt it would do much. It would just run all the time for no reason. lol. I would consider changing it to 203 where the stock tstat opens up and put the high setting at 210. I don't know what it is at stock though...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeh go to your local napa or autozone and buy a 180 t-stat they are like $12...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Congrats man looks awesome!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wow I was Totally lost when I was looking at your pics. I forgot that the stock manifold's throttle position was up. I haven't had that manifold on my truck for over a year now... Looks good and I always love the look of that vararam. You will love the e-fan, I know I do!

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
If I were you I'd set the low speed to about 5-10 degrees over what the tstat temp is, so maybe 205-210. Then set the high speed to about 5-10 deg above that, so about 215-220. I believe stock high speed is 222 deg. Not sure about the low speed.

Keep in mind, there is only a power gain if the fan is off, so you want it running as little as possible(when sitting and the temp rises). No need to have it turn on right at the tstat crack open temperature.

·
Registered
120 Posts
personally i would get a 180* t-stat. i set my fan low at 190* and high 200*. works great for me. only time the fan is on is when the a/c is running, or when im at maybe a long traffic light, or in a drive-through for food.

ONE THING I HAVE NOTICES IS THERE SEEMS TO BE A NEED FOR A 10 DEGREE DROP IN TEMPERATURE BEFORE THE FAN TURNS OFF....

so for instance mine turns on at 190* but then won't shut off untill 180*.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the air temp sensor is located to the very far left of the grill on the bottom of the washer bottle. For your temps to be reading 30 degrees high seems odd. You'd think they would read lower since the e-fan is sucking more air past the sensor.

Also, the 180 thermostat is about a 20 minute job and costs $30 to do. Their are a few threads on here about buying the thermostat from Autozone PN 4128 and get the coolant from Napa make sure it is the Zerex G-05. About $15 for each of those and your truck should be new enough not to need a new rubber for the t-stat. Then as others have stated here 190 for low speed and 200 for high speed. Best part about the thermostat is you have the factory air box out of the way already so it's just 2 bolts in plain sight.

·
Registered
386 Posts
so just got done doing this mod, Other than my fan coming with a broken mount, it was a piece of cake. I was ready to have to use all my might removing the clutch fan but it just came right off with out much force. One issue im having though is i set the fan to come on at 185 and 195 but the fan doesnt actually turn on till 199. Kinda strange not sure if it has a fualty temp sensor or what. I also replaced the 203 therm with a 180.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you'd be better off setting the low fan speed at 195 or 200 if it's true that the stock low speed kicks in at 203 and high at 222. If you have a 180 thermostat the fan would rarely turn on without the A/C on. Snrusnak hit the nail on the head. The whole goal is to have the fan run as little as possible if you're looking for more power from this mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts