DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced oil consumption between oil changes? I have a friend that has a 2010 ram 1500 that faithfully gets the oil changed at 5000km. He does not abuse his truck at all, and coming from the Chev world prior too has really like the change. He is being told from the purchasing dealer on the last few oil changes the is down a liter of oil, but no one can tell him why. He has extended bumper to bump warranty too 120k and is around 91km right now. The dealer has been monitoring this for the last 3 oil changes and says they have to do 4 to send the case into dodge? Would like to hear some input from your guys to see what you think. Thank you.:smileup:

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Chrysler states that normal consumption is up to one quart in 3000 miles for low mileage engines. I'm not sure of the metric conversion off the top of my head, but should give you something to go by.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be very close to 1 liter for every 5000km. The only thing to add to his truck as that he would idle the truck most of the day during the winter and summer as he is a consultant in the oilfield. He sits and watches rigs work over oil wells and spend most day in the truck....i will try and find out the hours on the engine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
That would be very close to 1 liter for every 5000km. The only thing to add to his truck as that he would idle the truck most of the day during the winter and summer as he is a consultant in the oilfield. He sits and watches rigs work over oil wells and spend most day in the truck....i will try and find out the hours on the engine.
Manifold vacuum is very high at idle and could be pulling oil by the valve seals, this could be classified as extreme duty and sould be considered normal oil consumption.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Well it seems excessive to me, mine goes 8,000 Kms and uses hardly any oil. I use to own a Pacifica with a v6 that was using 1liter every 1000 Kms and the dealer was trying to say that was normal. There was no way that was normal, lucky for me the lease ended and I got out of it but not after the cat was replaced on warranty. The oil was bypassing the rings and plugging up the cat.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I've got 52000 km's right now, I change mine every 10000 km, the most I ever see it down is 1/2 litre.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see this is an old thread but I am going to try and resurrect it. I have a 2010 Sport 5.7L Hemi. I am up in Canada so hence the kms versus miles I will use. Truck has 197,000 kms on it. The truck threw a P0344 (Camshaft sensor) and this isn't the first time. The first time it did it it had about 180,000 kms on and when i inspected it, it was down about 3-4 liters of oil. I was driving to Texas when this happened and was going through a lot of National parks (mountains, etc) and it was hot outside so i attributed it to that, but i still thought it was strange. Now just last week it threw the same P0344 code, I check the oil and low and behold I am down about 3 liters again. This is 3 liters over 4,500 kms!!! This cant be normal consumption. I run Pennzoil 5W20 in it (non-synth). I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what was the cause / fix if any? There is no leaks and I am not noticing and excess exhaust. The only thing different on this truck is I have put Bosch Double Iridium spark plugs in it, otherwise it is bone stock. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chorner
just had the same issue as you. 2010 Ram sport with Hemi and 172,000 km. Threw P0344 cam sensor code. Started with replacing the cam sensor. No luck. Was scared it was the notorious cam self destruction. Scoured the internet and read somewhere about low oil causing this code. Check and was way down. About 2.5 litres over 6000km (assume the dealership put the right amount in). Filled back up and ran her tonight and fingers crossed no code yet. hopefully that was the cure.
I run mobile 1 synthetic 5w-20 but have noticed blue smoke some time to time and the tips built up with carbon.
did you find a possible reason/ solution yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chorner
just had the same issue as you. 2010 Ram sport with Hemi and 172,000 km. Threw P0344 cam sensor code. Started with replacing the cam sensor. No luck. Was scared it was the notorious cam self destruction. Scoured the internet and read somewhere about low oil causing this code. Check and was way down. About 2.5 litres over 6000km (assume the dealership put the right amount in). Filled back up and ran her tonight and fingers crossed no code yet. hopefully that was the cure.
I run mobile 1 synthetic 5w-20 but have noticed blue smoke some time to time and the tips built up with carbon.
did you find a possible reason/ solution yet?
I have not been able to find a root cause as of yet. It needs an oil change which I will be doing in the next couple days. I will monitor it after the fresh oil change and report back. In the mean time I will continue trying to find an answer on the internet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The MDS operates off oil pressure for the most part. So if the cam cant adjust to what the PCM wants/needs to see it could cause it to throw a code. This is just my opinion. My 2500 with 5.7 says I can run 5w30 for "severe" conditions. Now the fellow that runs the truck hours with out moving, I would qualify as severe use, I might even add an oil cooler and dual filters for something like that. The fellow running back and forth to Texas if it summer might want to try the 3w30 also. If you think the rings might be stuck or something. Before you change the oil put a can of sea foam in and run for 30 minutes or what ever the can says, and then change your oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The MDS operates off oil pressure for the most part. So if the cam cant adjust to what the PCM wants/needs to see it could cause it to throw a code. This is just my opinion. My 2500 with 5.7 says I can run 5w30 for "severe" conditions. Now the fellow that runs the truck hours with out moving, I would qualify as severe use, I might even add an oil cooler and dual filters for something like that. The fellow running back and forth to Texas if it summer might want to try the 3w30 also. If you think the rings might be stuck or something. Before you change the oil put a can of sea foam in and run for 30 minutes or what ever the can says, and then change your oil.
hey djh3, I have no reason to believe there is anything mechanically wrong with the truck aside from the oil consumption. I changed my oil just a day or two ago so I will monitor it again. I don’t notice blue smoke, ever! Nor is there oil in my coolant, thank God. My truck has never been subject to “severe conditions“. Actually my wife has been driving it the past 3-4 years to work and back, and the odd trip down to the southern states. So I have no idea what’s happening with it, but I’d love to find out.

so you are suggesting possibly adding an additional oil cooler?

·
Registered
675 Posts
If your towing or something oil cooler maybe. Otherwise just mind the level. Did I post what the acceptable limit was?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your towing or something oil cooler maybe. Otherwise just mind the level. Did I post what the acceptable limit was?
rarely tow anything with it. And you didn’t say what “acceptable” levels of consumption are, do you know? I can’t imagine 3 litres over 4500 kms is acceptable.
It has to be going out the tailpipe but why?

·
Registered
384 Posts
There isn't a dealer in North America that would try to stop an engine from burning a liter every 5 k when it's under warr..And it doesn't matter who built it.Not saying it's right,just passing on my experience working at a few different dealerships.It's more than likely burning it whether it's valve seals or rings but in such a small amount you'd never see it coming out the exhaust.For the guy idling most of the day he's probably cooked the valve seals.Next he'll be doing converters.Not a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts