DODGE RAM FORUM banner

301 - 320 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seeing a little wierdness. Took the truck/trailer out in the daylight today. The brake controller works fine, but the display is only visible (lights up) when the truck marker or headlights are on.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Seeing a little wierdness. Took the truck/trailer out in the daylight today. The brake controller works fine, but the display is only visible (lights up) when the truck marker or headlights are on.
Any ideas?
That's just how it is when you install it on an '09.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just got a 2012 ram sport

Thank you for your help. Since I don't care if I have the canbus related features installed, I suspect I only need to wire the pink/light green wire to B3.
i got the oem controller my truck has only the one plug found the pink/light green wire taped into it and controller flashes cf . been trying to locate the other two wires but so far just see white /light blue and white /purple i been looking all over this sight to see if some one has posted a picture of the wires . help if you can! thanks joe

·
Registered
181 Posts
i got the oem controller my truck has only the one plug found the pink/light green wire taped into it and controller flashes cf . been trying to locate the other two wires but so far just see white /light blue and white /purple i been looking all over this sight to see if some one has posted a picture of the wires . help if you can! thanks joe
There are pictures and more detailed instructions in the PDF file I posted at http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=280263&postcount=37. I hope this helps.

Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
What type of controller is the factory unit ??

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but searching did not come up with anything. I'm wondering what type of brake controller this is. Is it the type that has a motion device in it (pendulem) to detect brake force or is it the delayed time kind, where it senses how long your on the brakes to then determine how much braking force to apply?

Thanks for the help as I just ordered mine online with black bezel...just $115 shipped BTW !! :w00t:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am lost in this website ( new) and looking for help troubleshooting problems with my factory installed trailer light plug. signal to right turn bleeds over to the left. 2004 ram 1500

·
Registered
9 Posts
And when finished installation of controller on my 2012 RAM I had to have the computer flashed at the dealer so that the controller was recognized.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Installed my Trailer brake unit on my truck with only one plug, used Ken99's pdf write up to do the job, took like 30min and was installed and working. Thanks for the great work Ken99.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Works Great!

I also want to thank Ken99's pdf write up. Easy to follow and put in. Now I have what looks to be a factory installed Trailer Brake Controller! This site ROCKS!!!:box2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I got mine delivered today from the big brown van. I spent more time looking for the right tools than it did to install it. Install took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Harness "B" part number?

I only have the one 4 pin plug, hardness "A". Does anyone have a part number for the harness "B" pigtail? I know I can splice the the wires and put connectors on them to make it work but would much rather install the actual harness to make it look good.

Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got it installed!

So I got the controller and the bezel in yesterday and and got it installed in about an hour. I only had the one 4 pin grey connector and everything is working perfectly! Now to just find a dealer that will flash my system for me for free. :)

Thanks for all the good info from everyone on this post.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So I got the controller and the bezel in yesterday and and got it installed in about an hour. I only had the one 4 pin grey connector and everything is working perfectly! Now to just find a dealer that will flash my system for me for free. :)

Thanks for all the good info from everyone on this post.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you only have the 4 pin connector on a 2010 there is no reason to get the computer flashed.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
OEM brake controller 2010 1500 small connector

I am having a hard time locating a wire diagram for the smaller of the two harness connectors for an OEM Brake Controller. I can only locate one plug.. There a lot of schematic son the web, but they do not clearly tell me which plug it is for.
Thanks
:4-dontknow:

Picked up the factory trailer brake controller from the Dealer I bought my truck from. Supposedly there was a high 200 unit backorder nationally but it took only a week to get it in.

The controller P/N is: 56029431AF
The beige trim is: 1EB13DK2AA

Installation took 15 minutes after discounting the fact that I was taking pictures.

This is where the factory controller is mounted.

This is the new bezel.

Face of new controller.

Bottom of new controller.

Mount the controller into the bezel. There are 2 screws you'll need to dig up and they're both different sizes. Careful not to attempt to use a screw that's too big or you'll split the plastic casing.

Remove these two Philips screws and don't lose them.

After the screws are out, carefully pull the panel straight back. The ODBC connector and hood release can be left attached.

Once the center panel has been removed, the first of two mounting screws for the cubby are exposed. It a Torx screw.

On the left side of the dash panel is a small access door. It pulls out from the leading edge. Be careful not to just jam a screwdriver in there and pry it open or you'll mark up the sharp edge of the dashpad. I inserted a small screwdriver just enough to get my fingernail in and pull it out. Take it easy here because you can see any marks you make. Plastic trim tools would work well here also.

Now that the access door is open the second retaining screw for the bezel is exposed. Remove both screws now and pull the cubby straight out of the dash.

Up under the left side of the dash (fairly close to where you're working) you should find two grey connectors that are taped to the harness. Untape them and route them to the opening you'll be inserting the new bezel and controller into.

Carefully insert the controller and bezel assembly into the opening and press it firmly into place so the secondary clips on the bezel seat properly into the dash. Plug in the connectors you untied above (they are two different sizes so you won't mix them up) and reinstall the two Torx retaining screws. Turn the ignition on to ensure that all the LEDs illuminate then go off. If it functions correctly then close the left access panel, replace the lower trim and secure it with the original screws.

This is the finished product with protective film removed from controller face.

Very nice!!

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
The picture links are broken and not showing up. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and am not sure if I have both the connectors or not.
Or does anyone have any pictures of the connectors?

Thanks! Great post btw, very informative

·
Registered
23 Posts
Need dark bezel!

I am working on fitting a prodigy brake unit and want to use the factory control location.
I'd like to have a spare bezel insert in case I mess up the original!
Can anyone help? I've tried to find cheap online but can't locate.
Anyone have a spare they'd send me for some big thanks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The picture links are broken and not showing up. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and am not sure if I have both the connectors or not.
Or does anyone have any pictures of the connectors?

Thanks! Great post btw, very informative
QFT Would be great to see the pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to give a big round of thanks to Ken99 for the .PDF instructions. I just finished installing this in my '09 1500, and had no trouble locating all the correct wires. Very simple installation, for something that's not supported from the factory. It looks so much better than the big honkin' Prodigy hanging out from the dash. I also like the fact that you can use essentially a clothespin to pin the trailer brakes on - makes loading/unloading equipment easier.

I haven't pulled a trailer with it yet, but I did hook it up, and got a value (I'm guessing a percentage?) displayed when I stepped on the brake - could also hear the electric brakes on the trailer engaging, so all's good there.

Curious that it won't display anything unless the headlights are on. Since it's only getting a +12V ignition feed, it must be reading the light status from the CAN bus. Oh well - lights on whenever pulling a trailer. I can live with that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just bought a 2012 1500 dodge, and want to verify what I need to buy. It sounds like I need this?
56029431AH MODULE TRAILER TOW
1EB13XDVAA BEZEL TRAILER BRAKE
My dash is grey.

Mopar site says I need this: 82212548 which is $205 ??

Is mopar-wholesale.com the preferred retailer?
Oh, and I don't have the second 4pin connector so I'll be stuck splicing...kind of pissed at RAM about that. I downloaded the pdf, hopefully I can figure that out. Instructions seem straightforward though, thanks for all the info on this site.

301 - 320 of 348 Posts