DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem i am. I have a 2010 Ram 1500 Sport QC 4x4 that has major issues with the windshield wipers when it gets cold. When the temperature dips below freezing the wipers seem to not sit on the glass excepts for the tips. When I need to clean my windshield, only about 2 inches at the top and bottom of the wipers actually touch the glass. This leaves my field of vision untouched and and filthy to the point where I have to pull over every couple miles(when the snow falls and the salt trucks hit the road the windshield gets dirty really quick) and clean the glass with a squeegee and towel. This happens to both the driver and passenger side. I keep the defrost on high fan and high heat to try and remedy this and even after 2 hours of driving I am still pulling over every couple miles so I can clean the glass. The dealer was no help and i thought i would ask here to see if anyone else has this issue or advise. As soon as I am done here I am writing the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin., Dodge and my states Attorney General. I really believe this is a design flaw on Dodge's part that could lead to serious injury or death. I think being able to see out of my windshield is kinda important. And one other thing, its not the rubber blade thats freezing because I have run my fingers down the blades to remove any ice its the actual wiper arms.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
I haven't seen this complaint in our shop and we just came through 2 solid weeks of snow and ice. It sounds to me like the spring in the wiper arm isn't able to overcome the buildup of snow/ice under it and that's what's causing the problem. It did happen to my truck a couple of times but pulling up on the arms a few times cleared the ice and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen this complaint in our shop and we just came through 2 solid weeks of snow and ice. It sounds to me like the spring in the wiper arm isn't able to overcome the buildup of snow/ice under it and that's what's causing the problem. It did happen to my truck a couple of times but pulling up on the arms a few times cleared the ice and the problem was solved.
Thanks, I've tried that too with no luck. My dealer told me 1 other Ram owner came in with the same problem so they pulled it in and parked the truck under the shop heater and after about 5 min. his wipers were doing what they were suppose to do. I wonder how far after he left that they were doing the same thing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today there was no snow or visible ice on the wiper arm, just temps in the mid 20's and wipers were useless.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
It's just a thought, but you might try spraying some WD-40 in the pivot pin on the wiper arm to displace any residual moisture. This may help prevent freezing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gotta agree with you Tanker. I can't say mine are quite that bad where I have to pull over and wipe the windshield during inclement weather, but they are awful in the colder temperatures here in New England. If Dodge were smart, and maybe they do offer this not sure, they would offer a winter package that would include heated mirrors, rear defrost, heated washer fluid, better winter tires, and definitely wiper blades that don't suck! Saw a thread on here recently about wiper blades and someone suggested PIAA blades, but they are pricey. Might be worth it though in your case.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have Latitude wiper blades since I plow and they defintely help with the snow (in fact they are great). The stock blades did not perform well - it was very frustrating.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
In the winter I leave my wipers standing out when my truck is parked. I do it so snow and ice do not build up either on the blade or inside it. In the past when I was driving every day or taking road trips in the winter I also used the winter blades that are enclosed which are much more durable. I've never seen a stock blade on any vehicle that could hold up to winter snow and ice.

Here's a pic after a heavy snow fall. Notice there's nothing on the wipers. They also worked perfectly after I cleared the window as a result.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Latitude wiper blades since I plow and they defintely help with the snow (in fact they are great). The stock blades did not perform well - it was very frustrating.
Yea, frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it. I don't even have to have snow on the window for wipers to do that. It can be a clear day and all i want to do is clean the window so I hit the wiper fluid and when the temp is below freezing, forget it. I just impaired my vision until I am able to pull over and clean the glass. I've had other trucks that did the same thing, not as bad though, but as soon as the defrost kicked in it seemed to warm the blade up enough to be able to follow the contour of the windshield and all was clean. I feel like a complete idiot :LOL:on the side of the freeway cleaning my windshield all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the winter I leave my wipers standing out when my truck is parked. I do it so snow and ice do not build up either on the blade or inside it. In the past when I was driving every day or taking road trips in the winter I also used the winter blades that are enclosed which are much more durable. I've never seen a stock blade on any vehicle that could hold up to winter snow and ice.

Here's a pic after a heavy snow fall. Notice there's nothing on the wipers. They also worked perfectly after I cleared the window as a result.

Been there, done that. Didn't help. In fact, when I park it outside in the winter I always do that.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Well, I tried. Have you tried the winter blades from places like Autozone etc? I've always had good results with those in places with bad winter weather.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My only issue is that for some reason right in the drivers line of sight is where the wiper fails... not on the passenger side just driver side during icing conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same issue, I replace them with Canadian tire reflex / rain x wipers, it’s a lot better but still not perfect, I think when driving the wiper sits lower than the heat that touches the windshield, causing them to freeze.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I tried. Have you tried the winter blades from places like Autozone etc? I've always had good results with those in places with bad winter weather.
Thanks for the suggestions Rootbeer! I'm going to try AutoZone for a winter blade and hopefully that helps. If that doesn't do it my next step will be to kick out the windshield so when I turn on the wipers they won't smear or have any missed spots. :thk:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Rootbeer! I'm going to try AutoZone for a winter blade and hopefully that helps. If that doesn't do it my next step will be to kick out the windshield so when I turn on the wipers they won't smear or have any missed spots. :thk:
That could be a chilly drive.:LOL:

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
I had the same issue, I replace them with Canadian tire reflex / rain x wipers, it’s a lot better but still not perfect, I think when driving the wiper sits lower than the heat that touches the windshield, causing them to freeze.
Well mine do this as well and I have already put the new Reflex / Rain X blades on. It's not as bad as what the OP described however it is a bit annoying. I had to get out and snap the blades a few times and they were better but not perfect. This also only seems to happen below freezing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its unfortunate to see someone else with the same problem. Everytime its gets below 20 here in NY with a little snow I have no view. The wipers only catch the top of the wiper blade area, leaving the center blurry and snow covered. I also have to stop and wipe the blades clean often. The truck is gararged and It doesnt happen when the temps are warmer, only when it gets fridget. Going to try the more expensive winter blades.

·
Premium Member
32,732 Posts
i googled windshields in winter conditions & saw this

Washer Fluid Spray Bottle for Ice Free Windows
Date: 02/18/2010 Topic: Cars > Winter Driving

Living in a very cold climate I found this to be a very useful tool for winter days. Purchase a gallon jug of the re-fill windshield washer fluid and fill a small spray bottle with the liquid. When your windshield is iced over spray beginning at the top of the windshield and work down towards the midway point.
As I recall the jug directions say that this can be harmful to paint finishes, so be careful and use sparingly. This starts a melting process and the top area will loosen up by time you get to the other side of your car.

One year I gave little bottles of it to my staff and they were rather doubtful. When the staff actually used it, they reported back that it truly works a miracle!

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Tip: Washer Fluid Spray Bottle for Ice Free Windows
Archived on 02/18/2010
When filling my windshield washer fluid for winter, I save some of the solvent and put it in an old squirt bottle. In the evening I spray my windows and mirrors, and in the morning the ice has never built up.

When warming your car up, it is great to have sprayed the outside of the windows first. It really helps the defroster clear the windows much quicker.

Frost-Free Windshields
Vinegar will help keep windshields ice and frost free. When a car has to be left outside overnight in the winter, coat the windshields with a solution of 3 parts White Distilled Vinegar to 1 part water.A good tip for frost free windshields is believe it or not shaving cream.rub it in good and wipe off when starts to fog up reapply.You can also use the above tip with alcohol instead of vinegar I like the green kind best.

try shaving foam on your bathroom mirror to stop it from fogging up, works great!!

http://www.ehow.com/way_5845346_homemade-winter-windshield-washer-fluid.html

Lift the Ice off the Window with this Homemade Deicer
You can use a household spray bottle for this. Mix a bottle of isopropyl alcohol (70% is best but 50% also works) and a few drops of dish liquid. Spray the windshield liberally, and in a few minutes, the ice lifts off the window. Also, try putting isopropyl alcohol in the washer fluid container (half fluid and half alcohol) to keep your wiper lines from freezing up in the winter.

when you pick up the winter windshield wipers, don't forget the
Rain X/Winter De-Icer windshield washer fluid
Part Number:
RX68106

good thing winter does not last all year long

1 - 20 of 52 Posts