DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've brought this up before in the TC poll thread. I figured I'd throw a quick vid out for some opinions. Is the ticking from 1400ish to 3000ish rpm normal? I've taken a tech for a ride, he heard it said it's not normal then after 4 hours in the shop he "couldn't reproduce the noise."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EIGR9tlLk

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I'm not hearing it in the video, so can't offer any works of wisdom other than I am on Hemi #3 (the first 2 were in 2500's), and all of them tick.....but not at that RPM. :4-dontknow:
Since you taken it in and the complaint is documented, I'd say just drive it. You have a lot of warranty time and miles to 'experiment' with. :)

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Mine had a noisier than normal tick, after the engine was warmed up

turned out to be one of the exhaust manifolds was cracked
fixed under warranty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not hearing it in the video, so can't offer any works of wisdom other than I am on Hemi #3 (the first 2 were in 2500's), and all of them tick.....but not at that RPM. :4-dontknow:
Since you taken it in and the complaint is documented, I'd say just drive it. You have a lot of warranty time and miles to 'experiment' with. :)

Thanks brad. I've noticed listening to the video on several different pc's, I only can hear the ticking using my headphones on my home pc. oFF topic my next experiment includes a HBS leveling kit.:smileup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine had a noisier than normal tick, after the engine was warmed up

turned out to be one of the exhaust manifolds was cracked
fixed under warranty
Thanks GT, I'm heavily considering the exhaust manifold being cracked also but the tech already ruled that out. My next step will probably try a different dealership for a second opinion.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seems like I have the same issues with the engine noise. It was really bad when I was using 87 octane fuel. I switched to Mobil1 synthetic & 89octane which seemed to help. The tech at the dealership then said to try 91 octane. I noticed a huge difference. Way less engine tick,better throttle response overall just better drivability.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just posted a similar complaint about ticking in the Hemi section. Mine starts tapping of ticking on start up when the engine is cold. It stops after about 30 seconds after I drive off, but when it started doing this the duration was much shorter. A Dodge service writer stated the condition is common with the Hemi motor and if they were to adjust the noise out it will come back in time. My problem is I'm thinking of selling the truck and I can't sell it with the ticking noise, it just isn't right. Another member suggested I search for "Hemi ticking" on this forum because its something that is common. I think its BS that according to the service writer there is no permanent fix, but thats his opinion. I'll check on the member's suggestion and do a search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts