DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to completely disable the mds system on my truck. I would like to be able to either use a heavier weight oil or maybe LUCAS synthetic to get rid of the engine noises ( read lifter clatter ) that i get on start up and sometimes for longer durations. I don't believe that this is " NORMAL ", which is what the dealer is telling me. Is this possible? I don't want the check engine light coming on.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The only way I know of (currently, that is) to disable the mds is to place the transmission selector in "5". I don't know that this will help you any. You could try using synthetic oil. Some here have used that with success. I personally don't have any of that lifter noise, and I have over 15,000 miles on it, and use dino oil.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would like to completely disable the mds system on my truck. I would like to be able to either use a heavier weight oil or maybe LUCAS synthetic to get rid of the engine noises ( read lifter clatter ) that i get on start up and sometimes for longer durations. I don't believe that this is " NORMAL ", which is what the dealer is telling me. Is this possible? I don't want the check engine light coming on.
To disable MDS: Drop your shift selector into 5th using the +/- on the shifter.
I dont recommend running thicker oil. Go with what your owners manual says.
Breif lifter clatter is very common with the hemi, especially if it has been sitting for more than a few days. (some do, some dont) Unless it clatter`s all the time after it warms up, dont worry about it. When these hemi`s sit for a day or more, the lifters tend to bleed down. Valvoline syn-power 5w20 is what i use in all the hemi vehicles i`ve owned. Valvoline was the only thing that stopped the lifter noise in ALL my hemi vehicles. I use to use mobil 1, but mobil 1 oil made the lifters clatter worse and started to notice blue smoke out my tail pipes. Since switching to valvoline synthetic, no more lifter noise, no more blue smoke since i stopped using mobil 1. You may want to have the exhaust manifold bolts checked, if one or two or more are broke, that will cause a noise on cold starts that sometimes sounds like a lifter clattering. Ther happens to be a TSB on that issue. Do a search in here for it, you`ll find it. Just type in your search for "Exhaust Bolt"

·
Registered
868 Posts
I put 5-20 mobil 1 synthetic in my Ram from the start and my truck has never had the "hemi tick"

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't know...I have two other vehicles that are GM, and I drove Fords where I worked. I hear subtle ticking in all of them. It seems to change a bit occasionally, sometimes on and off, more frequent sometimes than others, but I still hear some engine noise in all of them. I just about think it's a natural feature in any modern engine these days. Maybe it's due to the pursuit of fuel economy, the fact that they produce more power, or other factors, but most of them have some subtle internal engine noise at some level or another. Now, I'm not talking about something at the level of a loose rocker arm or rod knock, but that little, tiny tick or rattle that seems to eminate from most engines from what I've seen. And just like our hemi MDS, these noises seem to annoy some more than most.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i don't have any noise problems yet, been using 5-20 wt oil, penzoil ultra with k&n "white" filter. as stated, many use valvoline syn pro with success. i am not a fan of additives such as lucas or any others.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can't wait until we get a programmer for our trucks, so I can shut that stupid MDS off. I just put it in gear 5... Works for now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Since I read a post to switch off MDS with the gear selector on the shift lever I starting doing that every time I start driving and now it is just a habit and sometimes I look down and find I already did it.

I just started using synthetic oil with my last oil change and did notice a significant drop in the ticking noise. My 2003 Hemi had the same noise and I kind of got used to it unless I was next to a building then it seemed to bounce back and get louder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2011 ram mds

thanks for the input folks. i'm gonna take rambunkshuss's idea and try valvoline. i have been using the mds override since i bought the truck, i just don't like the engine noise every morning on start up. no oil = no cushion = uneaded wear

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
thanks for the input folks. i'm gonna take rambunkshuss's idea and try valvoline. i have been using the mds override since i bought the truck, i just don't like the engine noise every morning on start up. no oil = no cushion = uneaded wear
You might still wanna have the exhaust manifold bolts checked just for the hell of it.
Not sayin thats whats actually going on, but i would get it checked anyway just to rule that out.
When you switch to valvoline, you`ll see that it stays cleaner alot longer than most other oils.
Make sure you use the factory oil filter. Cheap oil filters aren`t usually proper for synthetic oils.
Cheap oil filters sometimes dont have a check valve in them either (thats why they`re cheap)
I wouldnt advize using LUCAS products in your hemi either.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm no expert (at least my wife keeps telling me that), but...

From what I've read on the topic, ALL modern oils (dyno and synth) have additives in them that hold micro particulates in suspension. These are too small to be filtered out. As more of these particals are collected, the oil will change color, some WAY more than others. Once all of the additive has been "used up", the oil is saturated, and the particulates no longer being sucked up will cause sludge. 2 things:

1. One oil changing color less (darkening) than another doesn't mean it's staying cleaner.

2. The only way to really determine if the oil is still able to hold more particulates is to have it tested. From what I've read, tests generally show that the useable life of the oil is way longer than the manufacturer's recommendations.

Now, if there's actual visible specs of crud in the oil, that's a different story, but more likely due to a crap filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
2011 ram MDS

Hey rambuckshuss. I picked up the valvoline today and with that i grabbed a K&N oil filter. Has the anti drainback valve. gonna see how that works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts