DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get an ARE MX canopy with the walk-in back door http://www.4are.com/product/walkin/ which replaces the tailgate. The problem is I have the OEM back up camera set up. Is there a way to get a different camera to work with the 430 radio? I'd like to install one on the canopy to use when I have the canopy on and leave the OEM unit on the tailgate for use when I don't have the canopy on.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
You might be able to get one of the license plate bracket camera, or mount it down on the bumper some way! Not too sure on this one!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
some of the radio after market units
allow you to have a front & rear camera, others allow more than 2

just install one of those devices & use the front camera on the trucks canopy

check out ALLGIG & Lockpick websites for starters

·
Registered
21 Posts
2 or 3 back up cameras

I am looking into something simular. I remove my tailgate to install a slide in camper. Would like to install a camera on the back of the camper and connect to the quick disconnect plug exposed with the tail gate removed. Anyone see issues with this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been looking

Ditto on the slide in camper. Checked with Dodge and they have nothing and couldn't tell me if I could splice in a cable to a factory unit to extend it to the back of the camper. Sure would like to see a wiring diagram to see if its possable to make my own camera and mount it on top of the camper and be able to see over the back of the bike trailer.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
this was stolen from a different forum

mygig lockpick. Hook that to the radio and it gives you rca input to hook the camera up to the factory radio. That allows you to watch the camera while you're driving also

Allgig setup, ask for Suzanne, to get discount
http://www.navtv.com/product/174/allgig-xg-hs.html?forceShowProduct=1
http://www.navtv.com/search.php?act...acturerID=0&ProductPriceFrom=&ProductPriceTo=

Lockpick setup
http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htm
http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Camper

Ditto on the slide in camper. Checked with Dodge and they have nothing and couldn't tell me if I could splice in a cable to a factory unit to extend it to the back of the camper. Sure would like to see a wiring diagram to see if its possable to make my own camera and mount it on top of the camper and be able to see over the back of the bike trailer.
I have a small chepo camera that I will experiment with. Seem like if the wiring is already at the tailgate then there should be some sort of plug and play camera. I do like the aftermarket multi camera options too, but don't need that if simply relocating one camera is all that is needed at this time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks aeroshots intersted too see what you come up with. Also like the plug and ply units that GTyankee posted. Really like the overrides for the gps and other stuff for the long trips.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw an camera install where the license plate had a small hole drilled through the middle and the camera was mounted behind it, very clean looking. This was on a Texas plate which has the state image in the center between the license numbers, so it was easy to hide it. Other state plates may not work out as well, but it was a cool idea for a location other than the tailgate and kinda stealthy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
camera

So, yes, my chepo camera worked fine with a makeshift wire job. I tried to get a replacement wire pigtail from Dodge, but it only comes with a new camera. I would prefer not cutting wires just yet. Anyone know of a means to get the wire pigtail that goes between the truck connection and the camera in the tailgate handle?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I installed one of those bumper cameras.but I also have the my gig lock pick which made it plug and play.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the factory harness apart (easy to do) and spliced in wires to an additional plug. So now there are two plugs, one for factory camera and one for camera on camper--one or the other is used, not both at same time. I have the lock pick as well and have a front camera, rear camera, and camera on the car trailer. One more camera is going on top of the camper looking down at the trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Aeroshots,

Cold you post a pic or two on your camera wiring? I'll be doing this next week after I pick up my ARE MX topper with a walk in door.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone have any pics or a diagram on how to splice an aftermarket camera into the stock camera wiring? I just got my new topper on my 2011 2500. It has a full back door that replaces the tailgate so now I have no camera. I want to keep the OEM camera on the tailgate for use when I don't have the topper on. I just got a license plate mount camera today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts