DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
2 or 3 back up cameras

I am looking into something simular. I remove my tailgate to install a slide in camper. Would like to install a camera on the back of the camper and connect to the quick disconnect plug exposed with the tail gate removed. Anyone see issues with this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Camper

Ditto on the slide in camper. Checked with Dodge and they have nothing and couldn't tell me if I could splice in a cable to a factory unit to extend it to the back of the camper. Sure would like to see a wiring diagram to see if its possable to make my own camera and mount it on top of the camper and be able to see over the back of the bike trailer.
I have a small chepo camera that I will experiment with. Seem like if the wiring is already at the tailgate then there should be some sort of plug and play camera. I do like the aftermarket multi camera options too, but don't need that if simply relocating one camera is all that is needed at this time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
camera

So, yes, my chepo camera worked fine with a makeshift wire job. I tried to get a replacement wire pigtail from Dodge, but it only comes with a new camera. I would prefer not cutting wires just yet. Anyone know of a means to get the wire pigtail that goes between the truck connection and the camera in the tailgate handle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the factory harness apart (easy to do) and spliced in wires to an additional plug. So now there are two plugs, one for factory camera and one for camera on camper--one or the other is used, not both at same time. I have the lock pick as well and have a front camera, rear camera, and camera on the car trailer. One more camera is going on top of the camper looking down at the trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.