DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn typo in title. FRONT shock....
12,000 miles and the front drivers side shock is pouring oil out of it. Flat Florida highway miles... Ordered some Monroe shocks that I'll put in.
My wife wanted me to get it done under warranty BUT my last 2 oil change and tire rotation visits left A LOT to be desired. Figured the idiots that can't unscrew a lug nut would for sure screw this up.
I replaced the 4 lug nuts they screwed up, rotated my tires, noticed the blown shock, ordered the new shocks.

That's the 2nd problem in the year I have it. Transmission takes a long time to get into drive or banging into drive OR banging into forward gear but only in 4th, no other gear available. They still have not figured it out. :4-dontknow:
Just figured my doing it is the lessor of the evils. LOL :smileup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
On most OEM shocks on most models and brands, they are usually somewhat bottom-of-the-barrel unless you've selected a model that highlights the importance of suspension like some 4X4's and performance models. This is one area where many/most manufacturers cut a corner. You'll probably be happier with a good aftermarket product anyway, so I'd dismiss this as a serious issue with the truck.

Transmission issues on the other hand are critical, and I hope that gets worked out for you through warranty or other solution without too much heartburn. Yeah, on dealership service and repairs, I've never been wowed to any degree with most of my experiences under warranty...and that's across brand/model lines. I like to do most of my own work too, and I avoid the dealership unless it's a higher dollar issue that should be on their nickel.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Many people go with the Bilstein 5100 shocks

Are you saying that your Ram is only in FOURTH gear ?
That in these transmissions is called LIMP Mode
when the computer thinks that something may go wrong with the drive train, it will let you drive home or to a dealership for repairs.
Sometimes it can reset if the battery is disconnected for 20 minutes, strange that the dealership can't find the problem

Sure is a head scratcher

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many people go with the Bilstein 5100 shocks

Are you saying that your Ram is only in FOURTH gear ?
That in these transmissions is called LIMP Mode
when the computer thinks that something may go wrong with the drive train, it will let you drive home or to a dealership for repairs.
Sometimes it can reset if the battery is disconnected for 20 minutes, strange that the dealership can't find the problem

Sure is a head scratcher
INTERMITTENTLY. When I start it and put it in drive there is a long pause then it slams into gear. When I look at the dashboard the gear selector is 4 and cannot be changed unless I shut the truck and restart. :4-dontknow:
Sometimes it bangs into gear and then if I roll fast enough to hit 2nd gear it shifts so hard I fell the snap in my teeth.
Everything shows up as normal, nothing in computer throws up a flag.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bilstein 5100's are your answer...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why wont the bilsteins cut it. U can put the 5100 on it all the way around and u also can level it. I love my bilsteins just pulled a 4 place Snowmobile trailer all 4 large men and all the gear. 800 miles and my buddies commented over and over how much it rode like a caddie. I have to say I feel it pulled better with these shocks on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why wont the bilsteins cut it. U can put the 5100 on it all the way around and u also can level it. I love my bilsteins just pulled a 4 place Snowmobile trailer all 4 large men and all the gear. 800 miles and my buddies commented over and over how much it rode like a caddie. I have to say I feel it pulled better with these shocks on it.
Mounts are different on a 2WD. Don't find a 5100 for a 2WD 2011.
Installed the Monroe shocks this morning. Took an hour to do both sides, no problem at all. :smileup: Didn't even have to jack the truck up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts