DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 st 4wd wheel hop problem

My truck has about 9500 miles on it. Starting to get a severe wheel "hop" when in 4wd. Feels like the wheel is going to fall off when you turn hard right or left. Sometimes it's not even a hard turn. Stops when I pull it out of 4wd.

Didn't do it when new and only started noticing it a few weeks ago.

Anyone else experiencing this? Deal says it's normal, but after a couple of dozen of 4 wheel drive trucks this is the worst I've ever had and seems far from normal.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The bucking bronco effect you feel is normal in a 4X4 with a standard driveline, no automatic 4wd. The automatic 4wd will allow for wheel slip and will not act the same as your truck. The tires are getting grip to the pavement and the driveline binds up when you turn because the wheels spin at different rates outside to inside, without any slip the bind will release and the truck will jump up and down on you. The only way to avoid this is to take the truck out of 4X4 before turning if the tires have some grip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am guessing this happens on dry pavement, when 4wd should be off. this is normal.
This occurs when on dry or wet pavement expecially when plowing on snow covered pavment. Note that it did not occur when the truck was new. I am perplexed as well as the dealer.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
as you already know this shouldn't happen when the roads are a bit slick, my guess would be a problem in the front diff. i would try another dealer.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've noticed this in my trucks also, unless its really slick, like icy slick. The center transfer case does not have a differential in it, so if the front and back tires turn a different distance, you will feel them fighting each other. This should only happen when turning real sharp.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
This is a normal symptom. It will be most noticeable went the traction is greatest. If you have recently installed new tires that have an aggressive tread, this will exaggerate the symptoms. Also, if the tires are different sizes or have different wear, the symptoms are worse. When in 4WD, it is highly recommended that you do not do excessively tight turns regardless of the conditions. If you have done a lot of driving in 4wd where the traction has been great, it will have placed additional wear on the drivetrain which will also exaggerate the symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tie Rod Recall

Ram has answered this question with the recall. Mine is scheduled in next week for the repairs.
Thanks all for your help and information on this. GA:gy:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
All the 2500s and 3500s do this in 4wd whether brand new or used, some more than others depending on tire fitment and road conditions. In my experience of owning many 4wd over the years since I was very young, NEVER run it on dry pavement in 4wd. This is a really bad idea. When road conditions allow slip, like in snow or dirt or mud, it lessens the hop when turning. I tried out 8 trucks from 2010 to 2012 at 2 local dealers to prove to a friend before he bought his new 2500 in January that it does it on every truck. The only recall I know of on my 2010 2500 was the ball joint stud recall. (was snapping when turning sharp at low speeds in 2wd.) If your getting your truck fixed because of a recall for something that occurs on all the Dodge HD trucks, I would love to know. Please post more info if you have any on the recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recall

The recall is for the left tie rod being loose and breaking on tight turns.

You are correct all 4wd do this to a limited amount, but mine was hardly noticable until the last 500 miles (or ok for 9400 miles). I expected some, but this is like riding a wild horse. Happens in hard left backing turns, which corresponds with the recall problem. At least I don't notice it as much in right turns.

Hard to imagine needing to pull it out of 4 wheel drive when backing up while plowing. I'd think the shift lever would wear out (or my arm) long before anything else.

I'll update after the recall repairs are made.

:4-dontknow:

Thanks all for your responses.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The recall is for the left tie rod being loose and breaking on tight turns.

You are correct all 4wd do this to a limited amount, but mine was hardly noticable until the last 500 miles (or ok for 9400 miles). I expected some, but this is like riding a wild horse. Happens in hard left backing turns, which corresponds with the recall problem. At least I don't notice it as much in right turns.

Hard to imagine needing to pull it out of 4 wheel drive when backing up while plowing. I'd think the shift lever would wear out (or my arm) long before anything else.

I'll update after the recall repairs are made.

:4-dontknow:

Thanks all for your responses.
I hear ya, I think we need to find out whos working quality control on that front suspension line!? lol ..Got the ball joint stud recall on 2500s, tie rods on 3500s....come on now assembly people...lets get it together..oops sorry ...ranting now.
And sorry for the comment about not driving on the pavement, did not mean to be condescending at all. I should be more careful with my caps and exclamations ...my bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts