DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Laramie that now has a failing lifter. It doesn't have any check engine lights but the engine is making some noise. Mechanic, independent not dealer, said it was a lifter. I'm debating whether to fix it at $4500 if no metal throughout engine or to purchase a new truck. I looked at a 2021 Limited with the Night Edition package. They are willing to come $5500 off sticker. Still need to negotiate trade in though. Whats everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Trade.

You’re way past due. I traded a ‘19 Tradesman on a ’20 Laramie, and no regrets!

·
Registered
83 Posts
How many miles on the truck and how many miles do you drive it each year? If the truck has 200,000 of wear and tear on the engine and transmission and suspension and the AC is marginal, etc. then it is different than if it has 100,000 miles and has been trouble free. I don't consider a truck to be "old" unless it has had more than 150,000 miles of use.

The sales tax alone for the purchase of a new truck will be more than $4500. DMV fees will double and your auto insurance will also increase a great deal.

I bought a new truck before I needed to in order to get air bags and then replaced it with a 3/4 ton diesel truck and will now be replacing the diesel pickup with a class 1500 gas powered pickup. I replaced a gas guzzling 16 mpg SUV with rear drum brakes with a new SUV that has AWD and disc brakes at all four wheels and gets 24 mpg around town and 28-32 mpg on the highway. Each time I got a different feature set.

Often a new vehicle means a new set of problems. With your current truck you know exactly what works and while fixing the lifters you can also replace the head gasket at minimal extra cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts