DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and searched and haven't came up with a solid answer. To my understanding the front and rear doors have 6X9's. Most people switch the fronts to 6" components (up or down a size) and put 6X9's in rear doors.

Can anyone confirm the actual mounting depth of the door speakers?
How much spacing can you do before your speaker hits the door panel? 1/2?
Can someone recommend what has the best fit based on your install?

Sorry for the question that im sure has been answered 100 times over. I am currently overseas & want to order what I need so its waiting for me when I get home. Thanks in advance!

G

·
Sorry...I have no info on that. I know some 2011 CC owners who had a serious depth problem in the front doors.

I checked the Crutchfield site to see what they listed and the list nothing for the 2011 MegaCab yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried crutchfield & a few other sites. Either nothing is listed or it contradicts another site. I assumed that the CC and MC were the same, but cant say for sure.

G

·
The rear doors are different. What seems to differentiate your generation Ram for previous ones is the lack of depth for speakers due to what looks like a door brace or part of the window carriage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:icon_bump: I am thinking I might go ahead and order my front speakers. Then the second I get back in the states pull the rear panels off to see whats in there. I just hate having to wait for stuff to show up in the mail.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP Not to be a pain, but I am just trying to save myself a few days waiting on parts when I get home on R&R. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wish I had an exact number for you on the front doors because I've been trying to find the same information without having to pull the panels and speakers off to measure.

Some safe numbers to work with:

Depth of factory speakers is 2.5", I have seen a lot of installs using 3/8" MDF.

This gives a total top mounting depth of 2-7/8". Most 6.5" components are well under that. I'm sure the factory depth is a bit deeper than 2.5", and you may be able to install a 1/2" baffle to try and fit a 3" deep speaker in there but if you stay around the 2 3/4" mark you should be fine.

Most 6X9's are 3.25"-3.5" deep. Thats' why they don't fit in the front.

I haven't done any reading on the back speakers so I can't comment there.

I am assuming the front doors on the CCs' and MC's are the same as the RC's.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the insight on what the stock speaker depth are on the front!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thank you for the insight on what the stock speaker depth are on the front!
Hey I know exactly what it's like to have a small window of time to get something you want done....and you DO NOT want to have to wait or shop around for parts.

I've been stockpiling my system for a couple of weeks, I'll have a couple grand sitting in the garage till I get a 4 day weekend to put it all in...but it'll all be there at least.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few more things to order, but I am damn near 11K in parts! Lift, wheels & tires will be taking up around $5500 of that. Its going to be a busy R&R for me. I hope to have 75% of everything done in 48 hours. Then I'm taking a road trip to Nashville for an extended weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts