DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while back I did a one month review after purchasing my 2011 Ram Outdoorsman. Now that I really have put some miles under my belt and gotten to know the truck…I feel it was time to give an update.
All in all I am still very happy with my choice…..especially as a daily driver and weekend workhorse. Since my last review I have tested the truck to various degrees to find out how it performs under certain conditions. As a supplier to the Power, Oil and Engineering world the truck fits in great in all aspects of my job…..much better than my previous sedan. The ability to throw junk in the back and take and transport equipment and tools is something I used to have to rely on others for. The truck suites the collard shirt and tie days well too. There is no issue carting customers around for lunch and such, plenty of room for those days. The layout of the dash and center stack always gets compliments. As does the hunter green color (I noticed it is no longer available on the 2012’s..Can anyone confirm??) I have made many long trips in the truck including an 1800 mile round trip with to Houston for Thanksgiving with my in Law’s. This included Wife, Young son and 110 lab. No complaints from anyone and thanks to the Back Flip cover….we were able to take all we wanted and it stayed high and dry.
In terms of capability I have tested the truck a few times including a major dirt and rock load for a back yard project…..I figure the load to be roughly 1300 lbs....plus myself and wife and wheelbarrow I figure technically that the truck was overloaded. Also this fall we rented a 27’ RV for a weekend to test the towing capability as we are in the market for a RV in the near future. The truck pulled the 6500# load surprisingly well. The Big Hemi never once hiccupped or indicated that it was in need of more guts even on the longest hill in Missouri… the truck accelerated up it with little struggle. The backup camera made hitching a one man affair. Don’t get me wrong….It was clear the truck was towing something but….I felt confident passing and handling hills and turns.
I have made some modifications to the truck for mainly appearance. I removed the dealer installed pinstripe and the Outdoorsman logo on the bed. I was not fond of the sticker and feel it looks better on the refrigerator in my garage. The windows got tint as well as a strip on the windshield. By far the most functional mod was the Back Flip Cover. Overall it’s been really good. Not too many complaints with this although it does leak a bit. Not enough to concern me.
In all the positives greatly outweigh the negatives…..The few things I wish were a bit better are the payload capacities and “Premium” Alpine system. The payload seems to be lacking by about 300-500 lbs compared to Ford and Toyota. This limits the selection of travel trailers specifically the lighter weight ½ ton rated 5th wheels on the market today. My gas mileage also has seemed to drop off by about 3-4 mpg….might want to get this looked at as it may possibly be due to the TQ converter issue many have experienced. Outside of that, I think the truck is an outstanding value for what you get. The interior and exterior styling is very functional and user friendly.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Nice rig and great write-up.

I saw that you mentioned your MPG drop-off and noted that you might have your TC checked out. I also thought the TC issue might contribute to poor mileage, but TransEngineer on the board (I guess he works for Chrysler) stated that it's purely a noise issue and won't impact mileage. As I have the same issue with my TC, I was relieved to hear that it wasn't impacting the mileage.

Mine dropped off as well, but I attribute a portion of that to a change in tires (stock Goodyears to Cooper Zeons).

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you as it might help you better diagnose the MPG issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had 1880 in the bed one time. They overloaded me with Coal, my wife and I also, so I was definitely overloaded. It didn't seem to mind at all, felt fine, never bottomed out or anything. Was glad I didn't have a leveling kit on it because I would have been nose up for sure. I was squatted down but like I said no issues at all....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks for the update..As a fellow Outdoorsman owner the info was of great interest to me. You did not mention if you had the RamBox or not. This has been a great addition to my truck and the reason I bought my outdoorsman over other trucks. I "think" I miss the leather and sunfoof I could have gotten with other trucks in my price range . But I got the Alpine/GPS/ Backup camera/ running boards and 20" wheels on mine so I'm pretty much happy. Still have my stickers on the rear quarters don't know about those yet. People stillcome up and ask me about my " outdoorsman".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope....no ram box. Funny....that was the thing that made me start to look at the Ram over others. I carry enough equipment for work that that It would have been awesome to have...in the end there were no dealers that had one with the options I wanted so it got cut from the list.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Have you thought about a set of helper air bags to help with the capacity issue?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great write-up and thanks for posting the pics. I have had my Outdoorsman for 11 months and have 7500 miles on it now. I absolutely love this truck. I've also noticed a serious drop in MPG but attribute it to the winter gas. I've been on the fence for a while about the stickers, I don't like them, but it does differentiate the truck from being just an SLT. Thanks again for the review!

·
Registered
73 Posts
ryan2001 you mentioned the Hunter Green color, I have that color also and love it. I noticed on-line it isn't there in the 2012 line-up. So at least on the web site you can't see it.

When I picked up my truck it was right after the tsunami/earthquake hit Japan, my sales person who is very knowledgeable told me that the plant that makes the metal flake for some of the metallic colors was hit and they were not going to be able to get a lot of the really nice metallic colors for a while. He orders a lot of their cars/trucks for the dealership, so he is in contact with them all the time. They are very fussy on the colors they order in, he was pretty disappointed about the whole thing. I am am wondering if the problem has carried through to 2012 models.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
We Solve the Capacity Issue

Ryan,

Great write-up. Lot of great real world info.

We have the answer for the capacity issue. Please check us out at the vendor forum or TotalLoadControl.com.

Not only will TLC level any load, but improve the handling so you can go much faster around corners - if you have any interest in that!

TLC John

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Ryan,

Great write-up. Lot of great real world info.

We have the answer for the capacity issue. Please check us out at the vendor forum or TotalLoadControl.com.

Not only will TLC level any load, but improve the handling so you can go much faster around corners - if you have any interest in that!

TLC John
if we add items that increase the capacity for towing or loading the bed, will we still be legal if an accident occurs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
if we add items that increase the capacity for towing or loading the bed, will we still be legal if an accident occurs.
If you read closely you'll find that TLC specifically says 'do not exceed the rated load capacity of your vehicle'. TLC is for leveling the load and making it easier/safer to haul maximum capacity, not necessarily increasing the hauling capacity of your truck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Hello from a fellow 2011 Outdoorsman owner. My truck is pretty much loaded from the factory (sunroof, back-up camera, etc.) and I just hit 20,000 km or approx. 12k miles. The truck has performed excellent in a wide range of temperatures (-40 Celsius recently here up to +120F when I drove it down to Palm Springs last summer). I've only had to take it back once to the dealer for a warranty item (inside door weatherstrip a little loose). Still have my Outdoorsman stickers on the sides but not my favorites by any means. Use my truck for a daily driver, Travel Trailer towing, fishing & hunting. Biggest negative (room for improvement) I have is with the coil suspension vs. leafs. Truck has no problem in the power category but the back sags when my 21 ft. Travel Trailer is hooked up. Yes, I use a load disctribution hitch, etc. and have been towing this trailer for 10 years (my previous truck was a 2003 Quad Cab Hemi 4x4) and this sag is disappointing - my 2003 had no such a problem. I will soon install a set of Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags in the rear as they've worked well for me in the past. Happy Trucking!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You might look in to the Total Load Control for the sagging suspension. They're a sponsor here and look to have a pretty good product.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts