DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its no surprise that the 2011+ Rams have no tuning yet but my question is what options do we have that doesn't require tuning? I currently have the basics a Mopar CAI and 22" Magnaflow w/y-pipe. I ordered a e-cutout and thinking about pulling the trigger on the JBA shorties. So all you knowledgeable folks give me your input on other things I can get away with w/o tuning. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
564 Posts
4.10 gears or really go all out and put 4.56

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can you regear without a tuner......?
You can run OEM 4:10 gears no problem. Since your truck is a 2011 you have aZF axle so which means you can't run just any aftermarket 4:56s gears. You have to get your carrier modify to have them fit. My truck is a 2011 as well. So far as performance I have the following: Volant intake, Fastman Throttle body, Corsa Catback exhaust, sonnax line booster. I had ordered BBK headers but they came with round ports on the headers, and the 4th gen Rams (09-12) have "D" shaped ports. So im sending those back and JBA shorties are on the way should be here next week and I'm ordering an Edge 28-3000 Stall next week as well. I'm building/hoping for my truck to run 12's in the 1/4th mile. Hope this helps at least a little bit..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Look at my signature, I have most mods available for a 2011. The only others I can think of would be a better torque convertor, gears (I already have 4:10), and the V6 eFan replacement. But I think it's better to have tuning for the eFan and torque convertor. If you want more performance, go with longtubes over shorties.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Look at my signature, I have most mods available for a 2011. The only others I can think of would be a better torque convertor, gears (I already have 4:10), and the V6 eFan replacement. But I think it's better to have tuning for the eFan and torque convertor. If you want more performance, go with longtubes over shorties.
You could always add a catch can, it's not really performance as much as just keeping your engine happy. Change out your stock Y pipe as well, the passenger side is literally cramped. If you are really wanting to get a tuner and hop into performance have your PCM reflashed to a 09/10. Than you can use all of the performance goodies.
I thought you needed a tuner for the ARH LT's, I've seen a couple of people throw a code because of the o2 Sensor and they used the tuner to just delete the rear sensor reading all together. Either way you can't go wrong with a set of LT's or the shorties, biggest issue I have with the LT's is the price I just can't see spending 4x as much on LT's. Supposedly Pacesetter will have a set out in the summer but then again supposedly there's a tuner on the way for our trucks
:LOL:

·
Registered
431 Posts
You could always add a catch can, it's not really performance as much as just keeping your engine happy. Change out your stock Y pipe as well, the passenger side is literally cramped. If you are really wanting to get a tuner and hop into performance have your PCM reflashed to a 09/10. Than you can use all of the performance goodies.
I thought you needed a tuner for the ARH LT's, I've seen a couple of people throw a code because of the o2 Sensor and they used the tuner to just delete the rear sensor reading all together. Either way you can't go wrong with a set of LT's or the shorties, biggest issue I have with the LT's is the price I just can't see spending 4x as much on LT's. Supposedly Pacesetter will have a set out in the summer but then again supposedly there's a tuner on the way for our trucks
:LOL:
You don't need a tuner for long tubes, its just really nice to have a tune for them. I've gotten one code since January when I had them installed, and I just removed the battery cable and it was gone and it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
You can run OEM 4:10 gears no problem. Since your truck is a 2011 you have aZF axle so which means you can't run just any aftermarket 4:56s gears. You have to get your carrier modify to have them fit. My truck is a 2011 as well. So far as performance I have the following: Volant intake, Fastman Throttle body, Corsa Catback exhaust, sonnax line booster. I had ordered BBK headers but they came with round ports on the headers, and the 4th gen Rams (09-12) have "D" shaped ports. So im sending those back and JBA shorties are on the way should be here next week and I'm ordering an Edge 28-3000 Stall next week as well. I'm building/hoping for my truck to run 12's in the 1/4th mile. Hope this helps at least a little bit..
goin to have to consider a cam..or spray to get into that territory..12's

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh I know, he knows his stuff! It would be cool to have a 12 sec slip, but the truck on the street is a different story! From 30 rolls and up this truck is a killer!

Far as the Op asked about longtubes.. I said shorties just because you use your stock cats, so your not gonna throw any codes. Im only saying that for the guys that have a 2011-2012 Ram and dont wanna take the chance of throwing a code. Thats why I went with shorties, plus the ARH are $1600! I can buy shorties, and a nice stall for that price and still have some left over.

Hopefully a tuner will come out sometime this year..
If not, Im getting rid of my Ram and getting a RCSB Ford F-150 5.0, or G8.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you'd be surprised..whatever you do for the track only accentuates what you can do on the streets... cool story I want to share with you guys (wish i took pics).. this morning i run to America's Tires to get tires balanced and rotated... I see the kid jump into my truck and he instinctively reaches for the column shifter, only it's not there, I see his eyes go big when he sees the floor shifter..he throws it into reverse and because i set my pedal to be very sensitive, as soon as he touches the pedal he's layin rubber in reverse...he stops and i could see his boss giving him a look and he's holdin his hands up like "whaatt"... he yells out the window "sorry but it's cammed" to his boss and i just smile at him...so he drives it into the bay and next thing you know, all the installers are hangin inside the doors lookin at all the guages, switch's and floor shifter, then as he's underneath setting the blocks up for the lift, he calls out at the installers and now they are on their bellies checkin out my exhaust setup (cutouts)... so when the guy looks my way I tell him when your ready to back out, open the cutouts... so he's quickly pullin the tires to balance and rotate. As he's finishing he asks me about my mods and the guys (I saw a bunch of chevy pickups parked out back) around him are sayin "we shuda bought a Dodge", so I show him the cutout switch, he opens them and starts my truck.. now, the guys who are in the showroom all look towards the window and then all come out along with some customers to check out where that lope is coming from...they ask me about mods and are shocked when I tell them my track times... so as I'm leaving I can see in the rear view mirror as they are all watching from the driveway and as soon as I turn onto street and straighten out i lay into it, truck is roarin as i lay a patch and shiftin gears and turnin my truck sideways in an S pattern.... what a nice feelin it is to let the beast open up... and to top it off, on the way home I come to a light..while waitin for it to turn green I see a chevy pickup come up real fast in the lane next to me, I had my cutouts closed as he drove up. he had twin hood scoops and dual tips out the rear corners so i thought..hmmm, potential street race? I can hear his exhaust over mine (22" magnaflow for stealthiness)... so i drop my floor shifter into L and right as the light turns green I open the cutouts and we both get into it. I immediately roar ahead and i could see the look on his face like "WTF?!! where did that sound come from?"..ahh, what a morning it was...:wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts