DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 29’ (34’) overall TT. It’s dry weight is 7100. When it’s all loaded it’s not more than 7300. It squats when it gets the weight on the ball. Have the sway bars and everything. How do you help with the squatting, and is that too much weight for the truck?

·
Registered
180 Posts
My initial impression is that's too much trailer for your truck. If the dry weight is 7100 then I think 7300 is going to be rather low for loaded trailer weight. Most folks add 500-1000lbs so it may be closer to 8000lbs when loaded. You need to check the payload capacity for your specific truck to begin with. Look on the drivers door jamb/pillar for the yellow tire loading sticker. Find the phrase "the combined weight of all occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX" and post that here. That will help others provide useful feedback.

You need at least 10-15% of loaded trailer weight as tongue weight though generally 12-15% is better for travel trailers. Assuming 7300 is the actual loaded trailer weight 12% would be 875lbs. If it's closer to 8000lbs as I speculated above tongue weight could be 950lbs or more. Add another 75-100lbs for weight distributing hitch and subtract all that from the payload number on your door sticker and that's what you have left for any other occupants, cargo, etc. in the truck.

When I'm estimating tongue weight for a potential trailer I use 12% of the GVWR of the trailer. Some folks will use 15% of GVWR in order to size things based on worst-case scenario. What is the GVWR of the trailer? There should be a yellow sticker on the front left side with that as well as the "as delivered" empty weight which may also be more than the 7100.

Something else to consider is the wheel base of your truck. Rule of thumb is minimum of 110" of wheel base for a 20' long travel trailer and then add 4" of wheel base for every additional foot of trailer. A 166" wheel base would be the recommended minimum for 34'. My 2014 1500 Crew Cab with 6.4 bed only has 149.5" wheel base.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts