DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone could give me an idea of what is wrong with my truck. 2011 Ram 1500, 67000 miles, have a cylinder 4 misfire. A little backstory, noticed the idle was rough for a day or so and then the CEL came on. Read the code and cylinder #4 misfire. Only notice the misfire at idle, higher rpm's are fine, no loss in power. Over 1000 rpm almost feels like there's no misfire at all. Plugs were done at 50k, checked and all good. Changed the coil and injector, reset the code and CEL stayed off for about 5 minutes before coming back on. Taking it to the dealer next week but willing to try any suggestions before hand to avoid dealer diagnosing charges.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
pull valve covers, check all rockers for equal movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pull valve covers, check all rockers for equal movement.
I know I've seen other rams of this year on the forums have issues which lead to a worn cam. Would that only effect idle or would i feel it all the time? I'm going to try and get around to pulling the covers this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 dodge ram 1500. Could have written your post if you had changed to cylinder #5. Persistent “stutter” at idle but good performance including pulling a boat. CEL came on out about 59,000 miles. Replaced plugs and coil. CEL reappeared one day later. Honest mechanic identified bad #5 injector and replaced with complete resolution of the problem. He said they should’ve caught this on the first look and not replaced plugs and coil. Didn’t charge me for the injector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, Ram dealer near me had my truck for close to a week, regular diagnostic charge plus $385 to pull the covers. Found #4 lifter collapsed and 2 others on the verge of collapsing, actually showed me the damage to the lifter so I knew they weren't just taking advantage of me. Lifter ate into the camshaft. While they are already into it, i'm just having them replace all the lifters. So 16 lifters, camshaft, timing chain, gaskets, oil change and all other misc. parts plus the diagnostic is $3,915. Luckily my dealers was able to work with me to get that price down to $3500. Called FCA and voiced my opinion all the way up the chain with no luck. First off, truck is under 100k miles but over 5 years old, said they still could have worked with me but since the truck was originally from Canada, I guess when it crosses the border the warranty is null and void immediately. In my opinion that's BS considering you're talking Canada and the US. I was also told, "forums and dealerships saying its common aren't grounds enough for us to consider an investigation into a recall" again, if dealerships are saying this is common, then it's just like the broken manifold bolts, a defect FCA refuses to address. Love the look and overall function of the Rams but after this event, this will probably be my last Ram.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm with ya. The almost exact same thing happened to me minus the Canada/ US thing. Maddening to say the least, and yet people still claim that it is only a 1% population of Rams that this is happening too?? I'm finding that hard to believe but whatever! Definitely my last Ram as well, to bad they shit the bed so bad on this one!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sorry to hear the unfortunate news OP.

Using 75 percent 5.7 engine sales of annual Ram truck figures and removing ~50 percent as heavy duty, they'd need to hear about 10,000+ camshaft replacements from the critical years below. There are probably another couple hundred thousand more in the challenger/charger/magnum/300c/durango/promaster/Cherokee/Caravan/etc applications, that's almost a quarter million additional hydraulic lifters on top of normal production!

What's the first thing owners are going to do when they fork over $4-6k for service? Find somewhere to complain, we have 1000 reported in another thread. The other 9,000 or more either haven't happened yet, or they are just taking it up the @$$ like normal maintenance?
Could be, but it's 2019 so social media would be blasted. I'm not on any FB groups so maybe they are?

Year U.S. Canada Total

1 - 8 of 8 Posts