DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I know that the threads for HIDs are a dime a dozen and trust me, I have looked for the answer to my question but can't seem to find an absolute 100% true answer. So here goes. As the title says I have a 2011 ram 1500 with the quad style head lights and I'm wanting to put in HIDs. I have ordered the h11 55w 5000k slim digital ballast kit from DDM Tuning and the same kit in the h10 style for my fogs with error eliminators for the lows, and just in case I ordered the relay harness for both sets. My question is with the DDM tuning kits will I actually need the relay harness on the lows and fogs if I'm running the eliminators on the lows and just plug up the fogs as is? Also it needs to be noted that these are not the raptor kits that most use these are the digital slim ballasts. I could not find the raptor kits on their site only these and the ultra ballasts. Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well as far as fog lights go, on my 2010 i just installed the Ballasts and bulbs. No harnesses needed. A bulb out light appears on my dash for maybe 1-2 seconds until they are warmed up and it goes off. So in my opinion, nothing else is needed for fogs if that doesnt bother you. For the headlights, yeah you will need relay harness, capicitors and ballasts/bulbs in order to have them work 100% with no issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I got in my kits today but not the harnesses due to ordering them after the kits and eliminators. Holy mother of god these things are bright!! Installed them without the harnesses, just the bulbs, ballasts, and eliminators and had no bulb flicker, no error code, the TPMS light didn't even come on like some said it would. Started and stopped the truck after installing each bulb to make sure everything was working right and no issues ever. The lights look great perform great and I'm very happy with the price. When the harnesses come in I will probably go ahead and hang onto them just in case though. All in all though, I couldn't be happier. If I knew how to post pics of the post install I would but since most in here have done it you guys know how they look lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you mind PMing me a link to what you ordered for the headlights and and the extra harness and eliminators. I'm looking into this myself. Thanks

G

·
With 55w kit you should be running a relay harness. The initial current draw on these 55w kits is much higher than a 35w kit. If you don't want to risk frying the ecm module or burning up your stock wiring for the 10min it takes run the harness. When I went from 35w to 55w first thing was to put in a harness. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I've been running the kit for a week now and have not had any issues at all. They fire right up and get to max light output in about 10-15 seconds. Love them. I have the harnesses coming so I may install them when they come in but for right now they are working fine. And I'm not sure how it would burn up the factory wiring when you have to put a resistor in line to fool the computer into thinking that it's actually drawing as much power as the factory bulbs. Not arguing with you just my thinking.

G

·
It's not the stable current that will screw up your wiring it's the 8-10amp initial draw every time you switch your lights on. If you do enough research online you will find out why people use a relay harness. It Wil work perfectly fine now but in the long run you will find out. Factory wiring wasn't meant to handle the over 8amp draw that the hid ballasts need to ignite the bulbs. Do some research on 35w vs 55w kits and you will find out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you know of any sites that have that info could you post a link. I researched this mod for months before I made the jump and never found anything like that. Just that not having the harnesses could cause it to flicker or not light up at all. Like I said before I'm not arguing I just want to read up on this if you have the info you're talking about. I have the harnesses coming (supposedly, shipping issue through DDM Tuning from China) and was planning on keeping them just in case I ever had issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So for some reason it blanks out the website you posted. When I click it it opens a new window with nothing so if you wouldn't mind sending me a pm or something I'd really appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts