DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to “ask an Expert” regarding Technical Service Bulletins and Error codes. Does a garage/technician have to address the TSBs before completing repairs from Error Codes??

Short Description: I had the CEL come on (solid not flashing) in my 2011 RAM 2500 6.7L TCD. I took my truck to a local garage (not dealer) to confirm the codes I’d found on my own - which indicated a faulty O2 sensor. They then gave me 2 TSBs and said these had to be done before replacing the O2 sensor. One requiring a ECM software update ($225) and the other for a wiring harness overlay ($114 part plus labor approx $275) not including their scan and replacement of the O2 sensor. They said that without addressing the TSBs related to the truck amd O2 sensor they wouldn’t be able to verify if simply replacing the O2 sensor would clear the CEL. There was an O2 sensor replaced on this truck back in Jan 2014 so why wouldn’t these TSBs have been addressed when the truck was serviced then by a Dealer (see info below and photos of TSBs)? This garage said they called the dealer and verified no updates or wire harness was replaced with the O2 sensor repair and so wanted to go forward with their repairs and address the TSBs. Of course there’s a significant up charge on the parts, and am left wondering if the TSBs really need to be addressed 1st so is this truth or BS?

• Codes: P2272 and P2BAC; (O2 sensor and NOx exceeded exceedence - deactivation of EGR)
  • Technical Service Bulletins 25-002-14 and 18-012-12 (Wire Harness Overlay and ECM software update) photo attached
  • O2 sensor mopar part 5149263AA
  • Wire harness mopar part 68250763AA

P.S. As a scientist my job is to ask questions and find answers, and I know enough to know when I don’t know, so here I am!

3F523308-1E94-49C3-B899-D56E238A8CD9.jpeg

3F523308-1E94-49C3-B899-D56E238A8CD9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Have your vin available and call dealer. Service should be able to tell you if the TSB's have been done. Typically I would say "yes" to a TSB being complete prior to working on associated systems. The wiring overlay could be simply replacing a couple circuits due to connectors or something. The ECM would be a "flash" or "reprogram" That could be parameters at which the engine should now be running due to fuel mixture or shift points any number of operating points. If the TSB is not done I could be trying to fix something that may or may not be bad or will throw codes shortly after I repair it.If the 02 sensor "bad" code and I change it, but the EGR is bad or not operating correctly your going to run rich and soon the 02 is going to get readings to throw a code of too rich and your performance will be cut back because the information the 02 is sending to ECM is looking for a range and say "whoa to much fuel dial that back"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have your vin available and call dealer. Service should be able to tell you if the TSB's have been done. Typically I would say "yes" to a TSB being complete prior to working on associated systems. The wiring overlay could be simply replacing a couple circuits due to connectors or something. The ECM would be a "flash" or "reprogram" That could be parameters at which the engine should now be running due to fuel mixture or shift points any number of operating points. If the TSB is not done I could be trying to fix something that may or may not be bad or will throw codes shortly after I repair it.If the 02 sensor "bad" code and I change it, but the EGR is bad or not operating correctly your going to run rich and soon the 02 is going to get readings to throw a code of too rich and your performance will be cut back because the information the 02 is sending to ECM is looking for a range and say "whoa to much fuel dial that back"
Thank you for sharing your insights & experience - greatly appreciated! The local garage had said exactly what you shared - that without knowing if the software update & wiring harness overlay were completed, they could replace a perfectly fine O2 sensor and miss the real cause for the EC. It’s just the 1st time I’ve run into this situation (TSBs) so wasn’t sure if it was a recommendation that could be dismissed or not. Too bad my extended warranty has expired or I would’ve gone to the Dealer vs local garage.

Since we couldn’t confirm the ECM software update, I errored on the side of caution and had the ECM reprogrammed. Total estimate for all work (TSBs & sensor) was just shy of $1000…so with a limited budget, opted to have that done 1st, then wiring overlay in a couple weeks/paychecks.

The CEL is off now - curious to see if it comes on again with the same ECs in the interim. Has been a “learning moment” for me and my “Beast” is ready to haul the horse trailer once again. 👍

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
TSB should not cost you anything. Look at it like Recall = safety-government mandates repair. TSB = company repairs before they are forced or it just becomes such a big problem bad PR. Usually things like eventual system failure due to corroding parts or say radio dies out. Non safety usually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts