DODGE RAM FORUM banner

881 - 887 of 887 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Express 5.7 has 42K miles so far with no problems except a replaced idler pully.
A guy on Youtube mentioned the heads and the bore where the lifter slides up and down.
I think he said he once worked in the area where the heads were being machined. I wish I could find the post again.
In (my layman’s words) he said something like; as the tooling drills the bore, each bore becomes a bit smaller because the tooling wears down. After a few thousand heads are machined the bore is too small for the lifter to easily slide up and down between the rocker arm and the cam.
If this is true then possibly the batch(s) of heads that were machined before the tooling became too worn and needed replacing won’t have the same problem.
A little off topic but something I think is worth mentioning. My wife’s 2007 5.7 Hemi needed a new EGR valve replaced at about 100K miles. The mechanic also changed the oil and used an O’Reilly Auto Parts MicroGard Oil Filter. By the time we got the truck home the low oil pressure warning came on. After searching a few sites I found that the low oil pressure was due to the filter. I replaced the filter with another brand and the pressure was fine again. Her truck has 148K miles now and runs fine.
I sure hate to sell my 2012 Express and I also don’t want to make my future problem some other person’s future problem. Been buying Ram pickups for decades but it’s over. So now we have a 2007 Ram, 2012 Ram, and a 2019 F-150.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add me to the list, 2011 Sport with 118k miles. Meticulous maintenance, never beat on it, owned since new. Always used M1 or Bosch filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 @ 8k OCI. Started with a misfire when going up a hill under load, did the same troubleshooting as everybody else here. Took it to my mechanic expecting coil pack, injector or spark plug, nope, cam shaft and lifters need replacing. He quoted $3600 with a couple of oil flushes before he started the work to get as much contaminates out as possible, then using aftermarket Melling camshaft and Moresa lifters. Be around $5k if he uses OEM parts or $6k for a new reman crate engine. I’m leaning towards doing the aftermarket repair, I’d like to get about a year out of the truck before I switch to a Tundra. Anybody have experience with Melling or Moresa?

·
Super Moderator
34,438 Posts
Add me to the list, 2011 Sport with 118k miles. Meticulous maintenance, never beat on it, owned since new. Always used M1 or Bosch filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 @ 8k OCI. Started with a misfire when going up a hill under load, did the same troubleshooting as everybody else here. Took it to my mechanic expecting coil pack, injector or spark plug, nope, cam shaft and lifters need replacing. He quoted $3600 with a couple of oil flushes before he started the work to get as much contaminates out as possible, then using aftermarket Melling camshaft and Moresa lifters. Be around $5k if he uses OEM parts or $6k for a new reman crate engine. I’m leaning towards doing the aftermarket repair, I’d like to get about a year out of the truck before I switch to a Tundra. Anybody have experience with Melling or Moresa?
Moroso is a pretty well respected brand; I believe but am not entirely sure, that Melling makes the OEM lifters

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
With 118K miles I would go with the remanufactured engine. Especially if you get some kind of warranty. A couple of members posted their cam/lifter replacement didn’t last very long. Would be hard to know if the cylinder walls or crankshaft bearings may have been scarred from metal floating around until it settled to the bottom of the pan. Pretty sure I will do the same if my 2012 Hemi has the same problem. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With 118K miles I would go with the remanufactured engine. Especially if you get some kind of warranty. A couple of members posted their cam/lifter replacement didn’t last very long. Would be hard to know if the cylinder walls or crankshaft bearings may have been scarred from metal floating around until it settled to the bottom of the pan. Pretty sure I will do the same if my 2012 Hemi has the same problem. Let us know how it goes.
It’s a hard decision, the truck is worth 12k tops so putting half that into an engine has me pausing, especially since I intend on getting a new truck next year.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You can replace a camshaft and lifters for under $2k shopping around and doing the research. No need to Swap in a shortblock after 120k miles, the bottom end is good for 300K+

881 - 887 of 887 Posts