DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the 3inch front level kit from heavy metal unfortunately my mechanic wasn't able to get the front alignment perfect. And for some reason the steering wheel is crooked is this normal with these kits or should I see Chrysler dealership for the alignment.

·
Registered
406 Posts
No that is not normal, take it to a shop that specializes in lifts etc or try dodge.I would also go back to that guy depending on how much $$$ you gave him and ask for a % refund to cover cost of a component mechanic doing it correctly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i should also put in 2 more pieces of info here. the first being he didn't have the proper equipment for the job his comps only went to model year 2009 and he had to modify the receivers to fit on the 20-inch rims all the wheels passed alignment accept for the front driver side. the toe is out 5.85 degrees that was the closest he could get it and he said the adjuster is maxed to achieve that amount. i went to him because he's a friend of the family and i didn't have to pay for the alignment. also the steering wheel is turned to the left but the truck pulls towards the right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds to me like something is definitely wrong here. Specs are probably the same 2009 to 2011, but not 100% sure though. Either way, your steering wheel is off due to the toe setting, and 5.85 degrees is WAY out of spec! Toe settings should be at zero degrees or pretty close to it. I like to run my toe settings at .05 - .10 degrees negative, it handles a little better than a positive setting, and at .05 - .10, it won't cause tire wear issues. 5.85 degrees will wear your tires off in no time! The fact that the truck also pulls to the right tells me that some other part of your alignment is off also, as incorrect toe settings will not cause a pull, where as caster/camber angles will. Take it back and give him another chance to get it right, seeing as it was a freebie and friend of the family, if he still can't get it right, take 377's advice and see a shop that specializes in alignments. Even if you have to pay for it somewhere else, it beats replacing those 20's every other oil change! Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK sorry i just found out my numbers were off. so after the guy tried 5 times he couldn't get ti any closer then it is. right now the driver side caster is off by 2.85 degrees and that is all he could do. i don't understand though why it is out. so my questions would be i know a lot of people use the 2.5 inch lift blocks for the front but i used a heavy metal 3 inch block would that through it off that much so that it cant be put back into alignment and secondly is there an after market bolt that i can replace the caster adjuster with so he can get the extra slack that he needs. to correct this problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had an alignment issue with a shop here in cambridge. Not the right equipment for the job. Trust me that you will want to address this sooner than later. I wound up totally bitching the two front tires at the cost of a grand. After argueing with the shop, getting nowhere and no compensation, I decided to get 37's and the alignment done at Kal tire (which guarantees there job). But again, it was a waste to not go there in the beginning to try and save a couple bucks for a competant shop to do the work. Now I have two near new 35's sitting in my shed collecting dust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts