DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my truck in the car wash today , when i got home i went around done a little look around for any dings and scratches from the harsh winter in Newfoundland. I have a friend with the same truck who spotted rust on his front bumper. I took a close look at mine and there is also rust spots. there are about 20 little rust spots about the size of the top of a small drinking straw. Anybody else have a issue with this? What have you done to resolve it? I am hoping dodge will replace/repaint it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 2007 sierra had bumper rust. I used chrome polish twice per year, before and after winter. The rust never got worse. My friends 2010 Ram had bumper rust and the dealer put a new bumper on it. I will polish my bumper to prevent rust on mine, but I am going to get a blue sport bumper instead if mine starts rusting bad. ( I want to do it anyway, just need to find somebody to swap with me or find good price on a new one)
My 1966 Dodge Coronet has very little chrome left on the bumpers, but hardly a speck of rust!!

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
For what it's worth I would be taking your truck back to the dealer and advising them of your issue... I would also take pics and forward them to your dealership service manager in order to document your issue....Good luck and if you get a chance post some pics of what you are dealing with.....Let us know how you make out.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth I would be taking your truck back to the dealer and advising them of your issue... I would also take pics and forward them to your dealership service manager in order to document your issue....Good luck and if you get a chance post some pics of what you are dealing with.....Let us know how you make out.....
they took pics and sent to Chrysler, waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My rear bumper had hair like cracks that rusted. The dealer took pictures and ordered a new bumper. They know they have a problem with some of this chrome.

·
Registered
169 Posts
they took pics and sent to Chrysler, waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!

Hi blaky454,

I also own a 2011 Outdoorsman and correct me if I'm wrong but the Outdoorsman only comes with painted front & rear bumpers. Our weather here in Calgary, AB is also harsh and gravel is used on the roads all the time in Winter. I'm constantly checking my front bumper for rock chips and then touching them up with touch-up paint. I wish these Outdoorsman's would have come with Chrome Bumpers. I would be really surprised if your Dealer or Chrysler would do anything under Warranty because they are painted bumpers but please let us know what they say.
I don't want to come off sounding as negative so please don't take it that way.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You have a paint warranty specifically for this kind of thing. The dealer can either elect to order a new bumper or strip and repaint the existing one (what I'd elect, hand painted vs machine).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi blaky454,

I also own a 2011 Outdoorsman and correct me if I'm wrong but the Outdoorsman only comes with painted front & rear bumpers. Our weather here in Calgary, AB is also harsh and gravel is used on the roads all the time in Winter. I'm constantly checking my front bumper for rock chips and then touching them up with touch-up paint. I wish these Outdoorsman's would have come with Chrome Bumpers. I would be really surprised if your Dealer or Chrysler would do anything under Warranty because they are painted bumpers but please let us know what they say.
I don't want to come off sounding as negative so please don't take it that way.
Yes my bumper is a painted bumper. I wrote a email today to the GM of my dealership, hoping he can help me out. Waiting to hear back from him.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless it's an actual corrosion issue, the spots just may be from small pieces of metal that get lodged in the clear coat and cause a bit of surface rust. I have it on my chrome bumper and by chrome grille (which is plastic) and a little paint cleaner takes it right off... I also have it on the body of my truck, which is very noticeable because it's white. Like the bumper, it comes off with a little elbow grease.

Just throwing in my 2c. You may want to give it a good scrub down and then throw some wax on it, since most likely (unless it's a unusual circumstance) it's just surface rust from metal shavings off break pads or plow blades.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless it's an actual corrosion issue, the spots just may be from small pieces of metal that get lodged in the clear coat and cause a bit of surface rust. I have it on my chrome bumper and by chrome grille (which is plastic) and a little paint cleaner takes it right off... I also have it on the body of my truck, which is very noticeable because it's white. Like the bumper, it comes off with a little elbow grease.

Just throwing in my 2c. You may want to give it a good scrub down and then throw some wax on it, since most likely (unless it's a unusual circumstance) it's just surface rust from metal shavings off break pads or plow blades.
it is rock chips according to the dealer. tried scrubbing but the paint is totally gone. its just a crap bumper. dealer called today and said hopefully it blisters then they will help me untill then buy some touch up paint and stop looking at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and had rust on the sides of the back bumper. Took it in to the dealership they took pictures and sent a report back east to warranty and they replaced it. Now I am seeing on the chrome front bumper small rust roses. Will do the same thing

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2011 ram outdoorsmans, and also living in Corner Brook, newfoundland. the salt/sand mixture used on the streets is very harsh to the paint of any vehicle. that being said, with my truck being used for the second winter (purchaced in Dec 2010), my bumper seems to be holding up fine. Touch up paint may help providing that the rust have not set in already. Did you take notice to any paint chips or rust anywhere else on the front of the truck?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2011 ram outdoorsmans, and also living in Corner Brook, newfoundland. the salt/sand mixture used on the streets is very harsh to the paint of any vehicle. that being said, with my truck being used for the second winter (purchaced in Dec 2010), my bumper seems to be holding up fine. Touch up paint may help providing that the rust have not set in already. Did you take notice to any paint chips or rust anywhere else on the front of the truck?
There is no rust anywhere else on the truck. I went to the owner of city chrysler who is now trying to help me out in getting the bumper repainted.
I am already after having the door and roof repainted on this truck for missing paint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really, missing paint.. In what way? if there is no paint chipped anywhere else on the truck, but the bumper.. I think that they should look into it and help you out anyway possible.. Talk to the owner/manager.. Let us know how it all works out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 SLt with Chrome bumpers had rust on both front and rear. Took it in the first time and they just "polished" the rear bumber ( didnt even look at the front). After about a week took it in again and the rear bumper was showing rust again so they replaced it. The front tho is another story. First of all they say the rust is not "bad enough" to warrant a replacment. I have 30,000KM on it and and now the paint upper part of the bumper has little spots of paint missing. Dealer says its road rash.....i havent driven it on any gravel roads and my 2005 at 5 years old has no paint missing with 150,000KM on it.....these dealers are hit and miss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts