DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for this amateur question. I recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 with the performance hood and I wanted to see if anyone knew of an intake system that utilizes the stock hood. I've seen a lot of so called "cold air" intakes, but none of those use the scoops that come with the hood. I've been told from some fellow Ram owners that there is a system available out there. Yet I haven't seen anything. Any help is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is also needed is some nice billet grille inserts for those scoops! Let me know if any of you have ever seen any?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
sorry to tell ya bud but that hood is not functional its only for looks and there is no intake system out for them hoods yett:(

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a dumb question. I see how the Vararam is functional while keeping out water, but if you had a scooped hood intake going from the top down into the Vararam, how would you keep water out? I could see a fairly extensive baffle system of some kind, but seems like that would defeat some of the benefit you're trying to achieve. I tend to think that's why we don't see any/many true hood air intake systems. Even the old Mopar Shaker setup wasn't really a ram air system, was it? Anyway, I see in the description of some of these aftermarket shaker intakes they mention the term "water management", so I'm guessing they have that figured out, though no detail was given on the ones I read about. Anyone know how they address rain/water entry on these hood and shaker setups?

I'd almost bet we don't see many open hood or shaker systems on newer OEM vehicles is because of noise regs for the manufacturer. I'll bet the db's exceed the allowable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stacy David on Gearz made the sport hood on his Express funtional with ease. Very simple, but I don't think it would work well with the Vararam that I have coming. Probably be nice with a standard intake like a Volant or K&N.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts