DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or if has been asked before. It is a very specific question based on the configuration I'm looking at. I plan to replace my current truck ('04 Chevy Colorado) with a bit more capable of a truck so I will have the ability to travel with a truck camper or travel trailer.

One of the options I'm looking at is a Ram 3500 dually with the 3.42 axle ratio. I would use that to accomodate a (larger) truck camper and to bring my boat along. Where I live and where I will be traveling, it is not legal to double tow a boat behind a 5th wheel trailer.

Now whatever truck I choose to purchase will be my daily driver, and it will spend more time commuting than carrying a load, although when I take it on a road trip loaded, the loaded milage vs. unloaded mileage will just about even about I imagine. Anyway, I chose the 3.42 because it will be my daily driver and I want the most fuel efficient final drive ratio for driving unloaded.

Now I know that 3500's are not purchased for fuel economy, nor is any other HD truck, they're meant to work. So just out of curiosity, does anybody have a 3500 dually with the 3.42 that can share their unloaded mileage?

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup, if you're looking for mileage, my buddy has a '11 3500 4x4 Cummins that is getting 20 MPG highway after DPF delete and tune (with a gentle foot).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts