DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody looking for a little help here if anybody out there can give me some insight as to where to go from here I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.7 Hemi lifter failure which led to destroying the cam which course caused the misfire in cylinder number 2 also code showing for multiple misfire replace the camshaft replace the lifters did all gaskets put everything back together now the truck will start up run extremely rough and shut down will stay running if I pedal the throttle at a higher RPM but still runs rough did compression test on all cylinders all showing good put brand new coil packs brand new spark plugs brand new injectors nothing's changed if there's anyone out there that can help please I am almost out of money and this is my only vehicle truck also has brand new battery and misfire codes are still showing up now showing as a permanent code

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it possible that you didn’t line up the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets at TDC before putting the chain back on? That would guarantee bad timing and rough running at best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply this is how I did the timing on the engine I put the motor at TDC camshaft at 12 crankshaft at 6 and then remove tensioner zip tied chain to the sprocket so it didn't move unbolted sprocket remove camshaft reinstalled new camshaft and bolted it back together would that keep the timing where it was or can it still be out of time doing it that way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also assumed that the alignment pin on the back of the camshaft was the same as the one on the old one so I figured that it would put the camshaft back in the exact same position as the old one

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can’t be sure from that description, especially if the engine turned at all while the cam was out. Check out this video. It’s not the best, but there are some good sections at 2:40-3:30, 12:40-14:00, and 15:20-16:40. If your heads are still on, you have to be at TDC on the compression stroke so you can remove just one of the plugs on the #1 cyl and cover the hole with your hand to feel the air being pushed out as you approach TDC.

This also shows it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another helpful idea is to swap the coil on the cyl with the current misfire code to a different cyl and see if the code follows it. If it does, the coil is bad. If not, swap the plugs from the misfire cyl to another cyl and see if the misfire follows the plugs. If not, do the same with the injectors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everybody looking for a little help here if anybody out there can give me some insight as to where to go from here I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 5.7 Hemi lifter failure which led to destroying the cam which course caused the misfire in cylinder number 2 also code showing for multiple misfire replace the camshaft replace the lifters did all gaskets put everything back together now the truck will start up run extremely rough and shut down will stay running if I pedal the throttle at a higher RPM but still runs rough did compression test on all cylinders all showing good put brand new coil packs brand new spark plugs brand new injectors nothing's changed if there's anyone out there that can help please I am almost out of money and this is my only vehicle truck also has brand new battery and misfire codes are still showing up now showing as a permanent code

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue and found out that a couple of the pushrods popped out of place when tightening the rocker shaft bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts