DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I bought my 2012 Express in January, and the one thing it lacks is Cruise Control...Rostra makes a kit for the '09-'11 Ram's, but their Tech Support stated to me that the PCM isn't active from the factory (which basically made the previous models a plug-and-play system.) My Question is...Would I be able to install the Rostra system from the previous years and have the Dealer Flash the PCM? I know Rostra will eventually come out with a solution that doesn't involve the dealer, but I'd like to get it done before I have to do any serious distance driving. By the way, After stepping up from an '05 Ram with a 4.7L to the Hemi, all I can say is the thing's a pure joy to drive...And actually a heck of a lot better on fuel :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow!...I didn't realize you could even get an Express without cruise. I used a Rostra for many years on my last truck, and they make a good product, but I'm no help as mine was a cable/linkage model. This is one of the pitfalls of drive-by-wire, but that's the way all that stuff is going. If you don't mind me asking, what was the sticker price and final "real" price you paid for that model? I'm not being negative at all, I just haven't seen any vehicle offered without a cruise in so long that I thought it was basically standard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is an email from the local shop that is going to do mine.
--------------------------------------------------------------
"I got a hold of rostra the company that makes the cruise control units. They informed me that they have completed the new unit for the 2012 ram. However he was saying that it had to still be put into the system and have a sku# made for it. So he was guessing another couple weeks before they start shipping out to retailers."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TNC- Sorry for taking so long to reply...My Express was not ordered with the 'preferred package' so it lacks cruise and keyless entry...although it still has power locks and windows...The no keyless entry thing doesn't bother me too much, and if I wanted that, I could add the mopar remote start and that would add that feature for me, however the cruise thing really bugs me a little. The sticker price for my truck was $32,200, and after about a 10% discount as my brother is a tech at the dealer, and 5500 in rebates, all told my price was $23,500...not to shabby for a full size rig IMHO....

galantesghost- Thanks for the rostra update...it's been a little over a week since your post, any news as to whether the rostra kit is available to buy yet?? I'll be one of the first ones in line to pick up that kit for sure...

·
Registered
38 Posts
My local truck accessories shop said Rostra told them it would be ready to ship by the end of May. We'll see.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Rostra CC!

How easy/difficult was the installation? Are you satisfied with the result?

I installed my own, and it took me about 3 hours. Mostly due to the fact I am pretty picky about things. The directions are clear, and overall it is a pretty simple install. It works well, I am happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts