DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting an express, I've always been a Chevy guy but it seems chevy no longer wants to make an 8cyl worth buying for under 35k. Wich leeds me to the express. Wich I must say looks damn good and seems to be a great truck to work/mod the living sh*t out of. So here are some ?'s I have ( and yeah I tryed finding most of this stuff online first) but I have gotten conflicting info , plus I don't want to go to a dealership and get hounded for hours over a couple of ?'s.

#1 - The r/t comes with a revamped 6speed , does the express share the same trans? I know with the console difference and the shifters differ but is the trans the same?

#2 - Can the express be ordered with the power (ram air style ) hood?

#3 - How does the new 5.7 Hemi with the cylinder management respond or act with a supercharger ( or is the stock fuel management eliminated with new programing)

#4 will the factory 20" rims fit with a reasonable brake upgrade using 13"- 14" rotors?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from. Being a GM guy for about all my life, I couldn't find anything in either theirs or Ford's lineup for anything I was willing to spend what they were asking. Needing enough power to tow a travel trailer, both other brands got into big money quickly for a powertrain of that level.

On the tranny in the Express, RT, and most other 1/2 tons in the Dodge lineup, it's basically the exact same tranny. The RT is supposed to have a torque converter with a different stall speed for more performance oriented driving and 22" wheels from everything I see on this forum.

Not sure if you can get an RT hood, but is the RT hood actually a ram air hood, or are those scoops just visual?...or are you referring to another hood?

Not sure on the other questions.

·
Premium Member
32,734 Posts
DDT4U welcome to this forumZ

first off, don't let them sell you the RES radio, get any touch screen with Uconnect
second get the 3.92 rear differential, with LSD if they have it as an option
Then watch ALL the Stacy David, GEARS, shows about the DRAG-N-Wagon
it is about the EXPRESS
http://staceydavid.com/projects/drag-n-wagon

it will answer more questions then you can think of
remember that you can get the Express in almost every cab style

the only thing that is incorrect, BULLY DOG has not made the programmer yet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding!!The 3.92 was no question the gear of choice . I have always built sport trucks. More then anything I was worried about the trans .

Here is a Pic from Sema form the internet , I actually have pics of this truck somewhere that I took as well ( I live in Vegas and sneak into the show every year).

mopar ram2.jpg
I know the hood is not functional, You can open it up on your own. But unless you want to come up with a way to route air to an airbox its pretty much useless , the only benefit would be to cool off your intake/ get your engine dirty.

Gt Yankee I've watched the whole series on youtube already lol.
He switched the Rims on that truck with the brake kit , but I don't know if it was out of neccesity or choice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
DDT, I'm guessing you're familiar with the Vraam(sp?) setup? For a true ram air would that be an option for you? There's a pretty good post going somewhere here on this site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had my 2012 Express for two days and can hopefully answer your questions.

#1 - The r/t comes with a revamped 6speed , does the express share the same trans? I know with the console difference and the shifters differ but is the trans the same?

The transmission is the 6 speed (modified 5 speed)

#2 - Can the express be ordered with the power (ram air style ) hood?

Not sure on this one, but the stock hood looks pretty bad. Depending on what you are willing to spend, you could always order the hood and sell your original.

#3 - How does the new 5.7 Hemi with the cylinder management respond or act with a supercharger ( or is the stock fuel management eliminated with new programing)

The tuning is on a rolling encrypted system that nobody yet has cracked. Because of this, changing tune has not been accomplished. You can easily deactivate cylinder management by using the autoshift button and simply limiting to 6th gear or by using tow haul mode which stops it in 5th and deactivates the MDS (multiple displacement system, cylinder management).

#4 will the factory 20" rims fit with a reasonable brake upgrade using 13"- 14" rotors?

The stock rotors certainly do not use up all the space inside the 20" Rims. The truck stops well, but an increase in size would certainly look more sporting.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from. Being a GM guy for about all my life, I couldn't find anything in either theirs or Ford's lineup for anything I was willing to spend what they were asking. Needing enough power to tow a travel trailer, both other brands got into big money quickly for a powertrain of that level.

On the tranny in the Express, RT, and most other 1/2 tons in the Dodge lineup, it's basically the exact same tranny. The RT is supposed to have a torque converter with a different stall speed for more performance oriented driving and 22" wheels from everything I see on this forum.

Not sure if you can get an RT hood, but is the RT hood actually a ram air hood, or are those scoops just visual?...or are you referring to another hood?

Not sure on the other questions.
Sport Perfomance hood (quite a misnomer) has vanity scoops (for looks only - not functional).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sport Perfomance hood (quite a misnomer) has vanity scoops (for looks only - not functional).
Yep, and the stocker looks just as good too. I am on the fence on this hood and I am kinda falling towards leaving the stock one on there myself. you could somehow make the hood functional but I would worry when the big rains come though unless you got a manual choke type cable that will close off the intakes in the event of this. I am waiting on someone to produce a hood kinda like the one that was on the 2012 Ram SRT and then I may change my mind. :smileup: I likes this hood!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had my 2012 Express for two days and can hopefully answer your questions.
Thanks RAMSAIL.

The two big things for my choice were the tranny and brakes. Like I said I'm going the low /fast route on this truck . Having searched the internet the last week or so , I really cant see why someone would pay for the R/T for what amounts to a torque converter ,4:10's, an exhaust and bigger rims? From what I understand the exhaust on the r/t is identical with different resonators to make it sound more aggressive. No real power added :4-dontknow:. Well I apreciate everyone's input , thanks for taking the time to respond .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, and the stocker looks just as good too. I am on the fence on this hood and I am kinda falling towards leaving the stock one on there myself. you could somehow make the hood functional but I would worry when the big rains come though unless you got a manual choke type cable that will close off the intakes in the event of this. I am waiting on someone to produce a hood kinda like the one that was on the 2012 Ram SRT and then I may change my mind. :smileup: I likes this hood!

That is a sick hood:smileup: !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI i am working on a functional kit for the hood (work in motion)working out the bugs cant give out much more info big money comp (((steal)))

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
The express has the same 6 speed transmission as the other Ram 1500's (which is also the same as the prior "5 speed" just renamed).

The "sport" hood will fit on the express. I don't know that you can order it that way from the factory, but it will bolt on if you buy it separate. It is non functional, just FYI. It's purely cosmetic.

I'm sure bigger brakes would fit...I think there are "big brake" kits, for a lot of money though.

Look into RIPP superchargers, they have a kit for the new rams that is very safe, and basically doesn't change anything as far as throwing codes/engine lights, etc. I would guess MDS still works with their kit, but don't know for sure.

I would also suggest getting 3.92 and LSD from the factory, it's cheap oem, but very expensive aftermarket. Also, the "trailer brake controller" option (I think like $300) will also get you the EVIC display on the dash which has oil temp, coolant temp, tire pressure monitor, trans temp, mpg, etc.... well worth the money, I'd recommend getting that as well.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
It would be very difficult, expensive, and time consuming to make the sport hood functional as it has the reinforcing cross members right in the way of the scoops...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts