DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i just read in the other thread that the 2012 reverse lights come in from the bottom and point up?!

Would someone be willing to do a little experiment for me in the next few days? I dont want to be recomending the normal 921-X12 bulbs when there are better options out there!

shoot me a PM if you have WHITE LED swaps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't PM you right now, (not enough posts), but I have an order coming in from Superbright with the 921-12CW for my reverse lights. Planned on changing them out this weekend. What do you want me to check?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get license plate bulbs too?

I wanna see if the light spread is better with a tower style vs the forward pointing 921s

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the following to diddle with.

921-CW12
WLED-CWHP15-TAC (with resistor installed)(and the current backup light)

I should be receiving today or tomorrow.

WLED-WHP13-T

I was going to swap around my reverse lights this weekend. I'm still not sure that the LED's put out the light that the bulb does.

Are you calling me out??? For what??? Cuz I looked at the reverse light and found the bulb position to be different??? My lights are catching up to yours? And maybe even better with that drivers side bracket I built?? And how could you have forgotten about that cave thing. hahahahaha

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes if you could take a picture or two of the 921 vs the 194. Those little 194s are bright buggers and i would assume might be a little better than the 921s even in the 09-11, but i have blue reverse lights and havent ever been able to do the comparison myself.

If you could take at least one looking at the lights and then maybe one standing with your back against the tailgate showing the two different light patterns and post them? that would be great

Are you calling me out??? For what??? Cuz I looked at the reverse light and found the bulb position to be different??? My lights are catching up to yours? And maybe even better with that drivers side bracket I built?? And how could you have forgotten about that cave thing. hahahahaha

haha im calling you out cuz i know your more than willing to play aroud your your LEDs and seem to be as excited if not more than i am about outfitting your truck with them...

:box2::box2: and say what you want about catching up/forgetting the cave... :gy::gy::gy::gy:

I know you will post your findings so i dont even have to ask you

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I have the following to diddle with.

921-CW12
WLED-CWHP15-TAC (with resistor installed)(and the current backup light)

I should be receiving today or tomorrow.

WLED-WHP13-T

I was going to swap around my reverse lights this weekend. I'm still not sure that the LED's put out the light that the bulb does.

Can you post pics up of the way the bulb goes in im interested to see the change they made

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
X2 I looked at my tails and i didnt see room for this??

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll take some pictures and post em up. Provided the weather cooperates... It's supposed to rain all weekend here.

Have to figure out how to get the tail light assembly off as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I received my bulbs today. The WLED-xHP in blue will do nicely in the maps. As for the backup lights. I am hoping I can use the new ones in the reverse lights. They do not have a resistor yet. And the others can go back in the bed lights.

All this will leave me with 4 of the 921-x12 in cool white with no homes. I am going to see if I can slide a pair of those into the license plate bulbs. I have not opened that up yet.

Removal of the tail lights. On the 12 it's a breeze. Remove the two torx screws and pull the light housing strait back.

SS, I want my lights to be as good as they can be. If it requires some playing then I am all for it. All the years of fixing stuff just makes me want to troubleshoot my way through to the best solution. This will all make it to my web page too. Have you checked it out lately? I have the interior power, strip light mounting, ... there now. I really need a timer set so I take more pictures. I was also working on the fog light writeup. I ran out of gas last night doing the updates. And I forgot how to put up my pictures so you can click on them and they get full size. rrrrrrrrrrrr. So all my latest pictures are small online. (*^&#%$)

·
Registered
340 Posts
So, I popped new WLED-WHP13-T into one of the brake lights and moved the WLED-CWHP15-TAC back up to the bed light. I also popped a 921-x12 into one side of the license plate.

First impressions.

The 13 is brighter than the 15. And looking at the numbers it is.

The 12 will fit in the license plate light. Just. Seeing as the LED's do not get hot it should be fine. I still need to see how it looks in the dark.

I still had 1 of the 12's in the bed lights. It was not loaded like the 15 with a resistor. The bed lights still went out. So it appears we just need that load one of the lights to get the lights to shut off.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have been messing around with them too.
I bought WLEDxHP T-10 High Power Wedge base cool white for plate lamps and they are great. Single led shines nicly on the plate not overdone.

I bought 4 921X12 wedge base CW12 for reverse and cargo and they suck! My reverse lights go in from the bottom of the housing so these are not ideal.
All the led's are on top of the bulb and point up when installed not ideal. Thinkin I need a bulb that has led's radily mounted to get the max light and benifit the reflector inside the housing. My stock bulbs are brighter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Almond, I have the following that I am testing tonight. They are both like coke cans with LED's around. I will post some pictures later on tonight. Ya, I think the from the bottom mount for the reverse lights caught some by surprise.

WLED-WHP13-T
WLED-CWHP15-TAC

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bet any HP radily mounted will be better for rev lights that install from the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The results are in......

This is stock lights and then the WLED-WHP13-T. Close

Farther away

Here is the license plate Left side is stock and the right is a 921X12.

Both 921's

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey there 337. I am still looking. You can see in the post above that I compared stock to the WLED-WHP13-T. I like these enough to leave them in over stock. I will be interested in seeing how the lights you just ordered do.

I am also thinking something like a WLED-xHP5 would work well in the license place light. It's a tad shorter and it's a 360 deg light so it would use the reflector some. A WLED-xHP would work well here also. Hmmmm, I have a pair of blue ones. I think I will try those back there. So many combinations to try. I need a pair of all the bulbs and play swapsies all night.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I looked at the license plate lights harder. There is no reflector in there. So something pointing out would be the best. I tried the blue WLED-xHP in the license plate light. I think it worked great. It fits into the socket much better than the 921-x12. Actually, after the test I was reinstalling the 921's and I lost one in the fixture. I told you they did not plug in nice. So now I have to figure out how to get that outa there.

So, I would go with the WLED-xHP in cool white. It's almost three times as bright as the blue in the picture below....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts