DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found out after the fact that the 2011 Integrated Brake Controller does not work on electric over hydraulic brakes, but that the 2012's provide a menu in the EVIC to select, electric or electric over hydraulic brakes.

It appears the part numbers for the brake controller might be the same for both years which leads me to believe that it should/could be a flash update for the EVIC to recognize or provide that option. I've been told both yes and no by different dealers and the Dodge customer help line.

Does anyone know if this is possible, or if there is a 2012 brake controller and I installed it into the 2011, would it work? Has anyone done this?

If done correctly it should provide me with an extra menu selection for trailer brake setup.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
After reading tons of posts about the factory controller, I'd be surprised to find that they're really any different even if there have been any part # changes. Most any decent aftermarket controller will allow electric or hydraulic brake control, so I'd be very surprised that the very nice factory controller doesn't support this also. I think you're probably on the right track with it being just a software tweak between your '11 and the '12 on this issue. I went with an aftermarket Tekonsha P3 that does just about everything since I didn't have EVIC. I wouldn't expect much less of the factory controller's abilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get any parts, it came from the factory installed.

And I had a P3 in my old truck but I don't want to have to install one in this. The integrated control was one of the things I wanted. Im hoping the flash update will allow the change. I had one dealer that went so far as to tell me to change the brakes on my trailer!! He also told me I could only use mopar parts and not an aftermarket controller or it would void my warranty (obviously completely untrue). In the end he gave me the dodge 800 number to call and I thought to myself, why aren't they calling? Isn't this their job?

Anyway I hope someone on here has some insight. It kind of important for these brakes to work once boating season starts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Subscribed I was wondering the same thing. I had seen in the 12 ram brochure a pic of the evic and started to ask around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've actually found a dealer that feels it should work and is willing to try. I'm headed up there tomorrow, about 20 miles away but worth it if it works. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah did they get the 2012 flash to work on a 2011 evic? I would like to know?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Still no answer as to how to use factory trailer brake controller on a 2011 to work with electric over hydraulic trailer brakes like they to in a 2012? The controllers seem identical. I would think you could have it flashed to work. Anyone have any luck with this yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Successful install

My 2012 1500 came with trailer tow package, but no control module. After much research on this forum I was able to determine my needs. My truck came with only one wiring plug, so I had to learn how to add the other wires in order to use the in-dash factory controller. My local dealership refused to assist with any of this by saying it is "impossible to do". Although the instructions I found on this site are particular to the 2010 model, everything matched and worked the same on my 2012. I bought the complete kit from an Ebay seller, printed out the detailed instructions on how to perform the installation from this site and printed out the wiring instructions for the missing plug from this site. I took additional care in removing the dash panels and creating the necessary wiring harness. Even with my cautious pace, I had everything completed and operating correctly in 30 minutes. I took it back to the dealership to have the EVIC updated. They begrudgingly did it for a charge of $45. Luckily, everything works correctly, including the EVIC display. I am very happy with the result, which likely would have been "impossible" without the help of the members of Ramforumz. Thank you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts