DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying identify the issue. Have had mechanics take a look. Still no plausible solution. I have checked the 60 amp fuse for the condenser fan. The fan did not shut off a few days ago and drained the battery. Unfortunately the battery also had a bad cell. Replaced the battery and was hoping that may have been the issue.

I have pulled the condenser fan and tested and it works. I have cleaned the condenser coil.
RELAYTOP.jpg RELAYBOTTOM.jpg RELAYLOCATION.jpg

The fan stays on still. I have unplugged the condenser fan to stop it from draining the battery.

I traced it down to a relay switch that is located under the radiator shroud and attached to the hood latch assembly. See photos. I have gone to Autozone, Oreilly's and the Dodge parts department. No one can cross reference the specific part or provide me with one. I did purchase one today at Oreilly's that has the same prong locations. However they are not exactly the same. The fan seems to be cycling correctly. I will know for sure once I am able to operate the truck during the heat of the day.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can get the specific part. I did locate one on Napaonline.com. However once I click the link, it says it is an air pump relay. Part #: ATM 0025422619

·
Registered
12 Posts
Omron Temperature Sensors are listed on google. You might try a wrecking yard but with something like that they could vary from year to year. If the one you have worked then use it. Newer trucks turn the fan on and off with the EMC computer and are harder to diagnose. You should be able to bring your coolant temp to 200-220 just idling for 15 minutes or more to see if it is calibrated to turn on when needed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been trying identify the issue. Have had mechanics take a look. Still no plausible solution. I have checked the 60 amp fuse for the condenser fan. The fan did not shut off a few days ago and drained the battery. Unfortunately the battery also had a bad cell. Replaced the battery and was hoping that may have been the issue.

I have pulled the condenser fan and tested and it works. I have cleaned the condenser coil. View attachment 133514 View attachment 133512 View attachment 133513 View attachment 133514

The fan stays on still. I have unplugged the condenser fan to stop it from draining the battery.

I traced it down to a relay switch that is located under the radiator shroud and attached to the hood latch assembly. See photos. I have gone to Autozone, Oreilly's and the Dodge parts department. No one can cross reference the specific part or provide me with one. I did purchase one today at Oreilly's that has the same prong locations. However they are not exactly the same. The fan seems to be cycling correctly. I will know for sure once I am able to operate the truck during the heat of the day.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me where I can get the specific part. I did locate one on Napaonline.com. However once I click the link, it says it is an air pump relay. Part #: ATM 0025422619

View attachment 133512 View attachment 133513
This is completely opposite counterintuitive to your symptoms.

You say it STOPS cooling yet the fan stays RUNNING continuously.

In my '05 it would stop cooling when stationary a couple times in its final years and each time it was because the fan WASN'T turning (ram air was providing cooling).

The observation doesn't match the symptom.

·
Registered
Ram 1500 5.7L, 4x4 CC, Sh.B, 3.55G, Laramie(level5) 105K, K&N Intake, 90mm TB, not enough character
18 Posts
^^^im with dude about not making sense about symptoms.

I know that most vehicles have the computer do a checklist sum before the ac(compressor) gets voltage. It is usually combination of solar sensors, AIT sensor, sometimes MAF, Pressure sensor in actual system, r134a refrig check sensor, etc

- if you look at schematic wiring of HVAC cooling(Haynes or online etc)it will tell you the exact number of sensors and wires that collaborate with the fan circuit(if any). It’s absolutely priceless when you need to repair it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your comments. I am simply stating the facts as I see them. You are 100% correct. I have taken it to a mechanic and unfortunately when he drives it. The
Problem does not occur. I replaced the condenser relay switch and the pigtail for that relay. The ac still stops cooling once the truck has run for a while on a hot day. The condensor fan has not run down the battery since I replaced the battery and the condenser relay switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accessory Relay
Part #: ECH AR7284
Line: Echlin Ignition

Have you had the system pressures checked? Simplest issue would be low cooling gas, which at a certain point of heat load would cause low pressure on the suction side, but then that should cycle on and off, you would see it as the compressor clutch kicking in and out. Or you could have a partially plugged orifice line causing the same issue or an overpressure, which would also cut out the compressor clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts