DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this new truck. The manual states oil changes every 8000 miles. Is it necessary to change the original oil out sonner than that?
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got this new truck. The manual states oil changes every 8000 miles. Is it necessary to change the original oil out sonner than that?
Thanks
Much sooner if you listen to my dealer. He indicated every 3,000 miles. I know the oil maintance light comes on at 3,500 miles. If I would have known this sooner along with the plug changes at 35,000 miles I would be in something else.

:SHOCKED:

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Wow that's a long time, my manual states oil changes every 6,000 miles (10,000 kms). But I would never wait that long, I replaced the factory fill with full synthetic at 3000 miles (5000 kms). Triton189 is correct, the oil reminder seems to come on with a much higher frequency. I pretty much ignore that and reset it when it comes on. I am on my own 5,000 mile (8,000 km) schedule.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ya the '12s show a 8000 mile 13000km oil change schedule. I will NOT follow that. I will probably stick with the tried and true 5000km change, unless the oil still looks clean which I doubt will happen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, 8,000 seems quite a long time w/o an oil change.....unless its synthetic. Some synthetics can go that long.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
Ya the '12s show a 8000 mile 13000km oil change schedule. I will NOT follow that. I will probably stick with the tried and true 5000km change, unless the oil still looks clean which I doubt will happen.
You'd be surprised, I'm using Amsoil extended drain 0W20 and after 5,000 kms it's still golden clean. I'm impressed so far :smileup:

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i changed out factory oil at 1000 miles and changed to penzoil ultra, 5-20, and a premium kn "white" filter" and change every 6000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
i changed out factory oil at 1000 miles and changed to penzoil ultra, 5-20, and a premium kn "white" filter" and change every 6000 miles.
Same here, same oil, same mileage interval, most of the mileage being highway, with the exception of a higher-end fram oil filter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep - it's correct, these new engines don't require the immediate oil change the old ones do - at least according to the service Mgr - and they're backing the warranty. Still you can do what you want and change it earlier if you wish - doesn't cost that much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was gun shy from my last vehicle and purchased an extended warranty for my RAM. Included in the extended warranty, I get my first 2 years of oil changes at the dealership at 3k mile intervals (along with appropriate tire rotations). So that's what I'm going with.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The oil today is good to go that many miles, or the engineers would not have allowed that to be printed in the manual

That being said, everyone changes their oil at the level that they feel comfortable with

I change it at 5000 miles, give or take some, i use a quality synthetic motor oil & one of the top of the line oil filters
A $4 oil filter just isn't good enough for my Ram

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a 2006 and used mobil 1 5/20 every 6000miles other than the hemi using about 3/4 a quart /the oil was in great shape /it was stated i could go another 2000 on it ..but every 8000 is for me my 2012 ram gets royal purple 5/20 every 8000 with wix filter

·
Registered
340 Posts
They sprung for 6 oil changes with tire rotations for me. Any interval I choose. I have always done the 5K thing. It's easy. If the Ram has a built in timer I believe I will reset the timer and then do a change at the next popup. Or at least a spring and fall oil change. I'm not expecting to pile up the miles.

Mikeski...

·
Registered
148 Posts
My trucks too young for its first change, I will go with Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Wix filter, I was using Castrol syntec (in my 97 Dakota), but it doesn't have the MS-8395 additive/rating that Ma Mopar asks for. I have run the Mobil 1 in out R/T since 3000 kms... she's clean as a whistle!

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 8000 mile oil change schedule is based more on environmental impact than engine longevity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts