DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 Longhorn before Christmas and traveled with it for the holidays. I tried the NAV just to see how it would route me for the usual trip of 500 kms to visit with family. This NAV system routed me a total of 800 kms from Weyburn, SK through northern North Dakota back to the border crossing south of Brandon, MB and up to Swan River through Brandon and Dauphin, MB. We pay a big pile of money for these new vehicles and systems and this is the crap we get for a high end NAV system.

Not impressed with the NAV system and when I talked to the dealer the salesman I talked to said that maybe it is a good thing that I am going after a fix for this so the problem will get fixed for other customers. Why should we have to do that? Are they not the go between for us to the manufacture and come back to us with a fix. I am going after a fix for this right to the top, as far as I can. :box:This is unacceptable when buying a brand new vehicle.

I aslo tried the NAV on the way back to Weyburn from Swan River and it routed us the same way. From Swan River, down through the northern US and back into Saskatchewan to Weyburn, another 800 km trip. Of course I never traveled the way this thing told us too but I wanted to sede what it would tell us.

I contacted NAVTEQ but have not heard anything back, of course it is Christmas and they are all probably away for the holidays. I have a Garmin Legend and if I use it for routing it is right on the money and all the maps for it come from NAVTEQ. According to the NAVTEQ website the maps on this RHR until are up to date and there is an updated expected in the spring of 2012. Then it will cost me more money to update a system that doesn't work.

This really sucks, the only this I found that sucks about this brand new truck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I feel your pain man, I have the same RHR system and it leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought I had read there was way to get the Garmin package on 2011 models....anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my truck yesterday and thought it had NAV but it doesn't, just the touch screen for the radio. I asked how much the difference would be to trade it it out for the NAV and it's $2000... I knew my phone would work better with Google maps but I figured it would be nice to have it built in. After listening to what you said I'm glad I didn't bother. I'll just mount my Xoom somewhere and call it a day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought my truck yesterday and thought it had NAV but it doesn't, just the touch screen for the radio. I asked how much the difference would be to trade it it out for the NAV and it's $2000... I knew my phone would work better with Google maps but I figured it would be nice to have it built in. After listening to what you said I'm glad I didn't bother. I'll just mount my Xoom somewhere and call it a day.
I have a 2012 sport on order with just the 430 radio. I could have ordered the nav for $400 more but I knew my droid phone would be more than capable (if not better) than the stock nav. Plus free upgrades, traffic, gas stations...etc. The built in nav would look much cleaner, but for no more than I will use it, id much rather have my smart phone that im already paying for.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought this NAV system in my 2012 is a Garmin based unit but I am not sure since it tells me there may be updates available through Navteq. Checked the website for Navteq and according to them the unit is up-to-date and there is an expected update in the spring of 2012. I am going to be talking to the dealer on Friday because this just isn't right. I want things that work correctly in the truck not have to continue to use my Garmin Legend sitting on the dash. My fight has just begun with Navteq, Garmin and Chrysler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I thought this NAV system in my 2012 is a Garmin based unit but I am not sure since it tells me there may be updates available through Navteq. Checked the website for Navteq and according to them the unit is up-to-date and there is an expected update in the spring of 2012. I am going to be talking to the dealer on Friday because this just isn't right. I want things that work correctly in the truck not have to continue to use my Garmin Legend sitting on the dash. My fight has just begun with Navteq, Garmin and Chrysler.

Go get em spud. I think the 430 is the radio that comes with the garmin nav and the 730 uses the navteq. I hear the garmin is more user friendly but the navteq is a little more detailed.

Before you go ape shit on these guys, just make sure you have all the optimal options checked/unchecked. Shortest route, avoid highways.....etc. I am in no way familiar with the 730 navteq, but im sure that there are a ton of settings to mess with, and you may have already tried. Good luck.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the 730N uses an Enhanced GPS System and it looks like it is from Navteq. Sounds like you are right the Garmin was in the 430N. Just like most companies when they find a good thing, change it.

I have tried shortest route, fastest time, all options set correctly and still the routing is a way off. Even on the website for Navteq if I enter a route from Weyburn, SK to Swan River, MB it routes me 800 kms but at least not into the US. The trip is actually 500 kms but the route on Navteq appears to only take the real major roads in this area like the Trans Canada #1 and highway 10 north in Manitoba. There are many good highways on a more direct route that we always travel. They appear in the maps on the unit but the system just will not select those roads and route us the REAL shortest or fastest.

I will be at the dealership on Firday and looking for some answers. I am waiting a reply from Navteq and Garmin. I will give them a little time since I started this rant while they are all probably off enjoying the Christmas season and the New Year.

Thanks for letting me vent of here everyone.

Have a safe happy New Year and I will keep you posted on what I find out.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
My sport has the 430N with Garmin navigation and it's spot on. I've driven all over northern Alberta using it and couldn't be happier with the directions it's given me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2012 with the 730 and it seems to be really good. It recalculated my route due to a traffic jam in nashville due to satellite radio traffic feature. Is there something specific you dont like about it, or does something not work that should?

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2012 with the 730 and it seems to be really good. It recalculated my route due to a traffic jam in nashville due to satellite radio traffic feature. Is there something specific you dont like about it, or does something not work that should?
As I mentioned in my original post, this system routed me 800 kms on a normal 500 km route I have taken many, many times. I tried the system when I bought the truck and on a trip 500 kms north east of where I live it routed me 300 extra kms south east in the US and back into Canada. Of course I never traveled the way this system routed me but it should at least be more accurate than that.

I have a Garmin Legend handheld GPS and it routes 1000 time better and very accurate. We pay an extreme amount of money for new vehicles and at least you would think these new systems would work really well.

Maybe the maps loaded in these things are mor up-to-date for the US road system and the companies still think we live in igloos, drive snow machines all year long and there are only a few major roads in Canada. Here in Saskatchewan we have the most miles of road compared to any other province in Canada. They are not all great but we have the most. LOL

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have the non Garmin Nav in my RER 730N
believe me, it wants me to go MILES out of the way, no matter what my selections are
My settings are NO TOLL roads
It still puts me on Toll roads

So i either use my Garmin NUVI with LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC
or i Google my route before i leave
One other option is that i will use Truckers Maps, i find that they are the quickest with less traffic, because everyone is following the NAVTEQ maps LOL

http://www.truckmiles.com/

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have replies from Garmin and Navteq. The new 730N RHR unit installed in my 2012 Longhorn is not a Garmin unit and Navteq is the raw data provider to Garmin and Dodge. Garmin said the 730N RHR is made by MyGig and not made by Garmin.

MyGig unofficial website is now getting a really good look over to see what I can find.

http://mofv.com/mygig/

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered up my 2012 and went for the less nav unit (garmin). the dealer ship even told me that it was a WAAAY more user friemdly unit, less money on the option list, and was likely more accurate. he also said the "upgraded" unit does have more hard drive space, but was I really going to use it??? I think not. I opted for the "down graded" unit and paid less for better....on the funny side, my bro-in-law just went out and bought a new truck on the same day, same dealership, but with the "upgrade" unit, so far he doesen't like his Nav.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Ram 1500 Sport - Nav Sucks

I bought my 2011 Ram as an end of the year close-out and went with the Sport because I wanted the better radio. what a mistake. Save your money, I love the truck, hate the radio. I travel between Buffalo, NY and Myrtle Beach, SC and the factory nav is over an hour longer than my TomTom route. I carry my TomTom with me everywhere now because the factory nav is missing many roads here in Myrtle Beach. The road I live on isn't even there, just some GPS co-ords.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thought I would chime in on this one. I too have the NAV touch screen in my 2012 and kinda think its a POS.

Try living in rural South Dakota and see what roads show up! Makes me laugh. There was a new on/off ramp built on the exit I use to go home about 3 years ago... It still shows me driving in a field when I am on the new exit.:4-dontknow:

Anyway I wanted to subscribe to this thread so when you post what you find out I will see it.

JT

·
Registered
98 Posts
I contemplated adding the nav to my truck, but it just doesn't make sense to me. And now after reading all this thread I am glad I decided against it. With the cost of portable nav units with lifetime maps and traffic being under $100 it just seems silly to pay what Dodge wants for the nav radio THEN have to pay for map updates down the road. No pun intended.:gy:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just ordered my truck a few days ago and its going to have the 730 in it... now reading all this I am very disapointed. I would expect a good quality GPS system for the money I am paying for it. On top of that I am going to have to eventually pay for a map update!?

I guess its a good thing that I dont stray too far away from routs that I already know. If I have to I'll research the route on google before I go, and pack the magellin GPS I have now.

Hopefully you guys can get some answers from the guys who make the GPS and the maps, I'll be happy to join you all in the fight once I have my truck.

·
Read Only
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I talked to the service rep at the dealership i bought my Longhorn at about the NAV system and he said they have had lots of complaints and they have contacted Chrysler about the problem. They are aware of it and he is going to check with Chrsyler next week for an update on this situation.

In the mean time I loaded the software upgrade I found on this website forums:
http://mofv.com/mygig/
It never made any difference in the routing for the GPS. Chrysler should go back to the Garmin based unit and have a recall to change the software on all the units out there that have this poor system from MyGIG.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"I will be at the dealership on Firday and looking for some answers"

LOL, you will be lucky if the monkeys at the dealership can even spell navigation system much less do a damn thing about it. :LOL:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts