DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I was on my way back to KC when I noticed my truck started feeling like I had 7000lbs behind it. It just didn't want to go up hills or accelerate at all. Any incline and it would kick out of OD and fall on its face before finally wrapping up enough to hold 75MPH. It also immediately started chugging Gas. Like 9 MPG chugging. I just put spark plugs in it about 3 months ago. That seemed to help with performance and gas mileage a bit for a short period. When idling, it sounds smooth as silk, has a tick to it, but has had that since it had 26,000 miles on it. Now it has 95,000. always been maintained correctly. Any Guesses on where to start. No codes are beings shown, no CEL, just seems to have a major hesitation and lacks power on the top end. If there is anyone in KC that has a good mechanic they can point me to, I would be appreciative of that as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not really any weird noises, it just falls on its face, almost like its down a cylinder whenever you try to give it gas, it acts like it wont take it, and then it changes gears and goes. It does feel like it has a vibration, like its missing, but it hasn't had any misfire codes pop up. when I changed the plugs, I forgot to hook up the last coil and started it up, it instantly threw a code and ran like hammered dog crap, so I know if a cylinder isn't hitting it will throw a code. Do bad O2 sensors typically throw a Code or trigger a CEL?

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
The easiest place to start and quickest is to clean the throttle body. It needs to be done periodically any way.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
When you changed the spark plugs, do you use the stock
NGK 92174 {#LZFR5C11}
or the alternative plugs
CHAMPION 446 {#REC12MCC4}

Our Ram 5.7L engines don't like anything else

·
Registered
14 Posts
O2s do typically throw codes but they can act wierd and get lazy. They can also be expensive, not sure what brand is suggested for these trucks as i havent needed to research it. It seems air fuel related so look at simple cheaper items first. MAP sensor is a good first place to look as stated.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I don't know if you have checked the air filter or not, that would be my first place to go. You did mention you maintain your truck, but I have seen a few situations where small critters have made a nest on air filters causing this type of problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I pulled the air filter just a week ago to take a look at it, went ahead and blew it out gently with compressed air (it was really clean to begin with), I used the stock NGK spark plugs as well when I changed those. The quickest the mechanic I know I can trust could get to it was next week, so hopefully it runs ok till then, however I plan on spending some time this weekend looking at some things. I and then my pops cleaned the throttle body out fairly recently, but I will take another look at it as well. I really hope it is something fairly simple and not a major engine issue. Again, thanks for all the input, and if anyone one else has any suggestions, they are appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I took it to my smaller mechanic to diagnose; he said he thinks it maybe the cam phaser? but also rattled on about some oil pump that he thought was under the intake, and something about a plastic screen that can get clogged or dislodged. When he had his machine hooked to it all he could ever get was show a cylinder 5 misfire once or twice, but it also showed that occasionally, the crank and cam were out of sync. O2 sensors seem to check out fine. does any of that sound like anything of use??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got an answer

Guess what?!? Its the Camshaft and a lifter. Thank You Mopar, for making the weakest Roller lifters known to man. 96,000 miles seems a little premature for a lifter failure, but I'm no engine builder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.