DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2012 Ram 2500 Diesel, handling problems

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel I bought new and now has 21,000 miles. I like the truck but hate driving it. The handling is terrible and takes way to much effort to keep in the lane. I have checked alignment, changed the tires to Michelin LTX, installed Bilstein 5100 shocks, a steering box brace and all that has made very little improvement. It feels like the spring rates are too soft and as you start a turn at freeway speed the body movement influences the required steering input and forces you to continually adjust. The best way to describe it is that the wheel feels springy rather than positive. You can grab the truck under the fender well and rock it side to side about 3" and it feels loose when compared to a friends similar Chevy truck. The truck does not have a steering pull and wil go straight when the road is flat. The problems happen when entering and maintaining corners on anything other than a very flat road. I don't want to lift the truck, I just want more positive handling - any suggestions?

#4 ·
2012 2500 steering problems

It has been like this since new, like driving a boat. I replaced the tires with Michelin tires and that did help. I have checked all the steering components and there is no excessive play. Body movement just feels uncontrolled and under sprung.

#5 ·
My 2500 CTD doesn't steer like my 1500 for sure. It's a bit sloppier and in my opinion pulls slightly to the right, so I find myself constantly holding left input on the wheel. It's very slight, but it should track better than it does. I've put new michelins on it and it's only got 2900 miles on it. Took it in to the dealer and they said it was only out a minute amount and supposedly brought it to spec. I can't see that it changed much. I don't know if it's normal for the 2500 with this pitman arm type steering or not. I hope you find your gremlin. Best of luck.

#6 ·
Ram 2500 steering

That is the dealer response I have gotten also. I don't think there is anything wrong with the truck mechanically. I think it's systemic because Dodge decided a softer ride was more important than more precise road control. I thought it was just that I was over sensitive to it until I had a couple friends drive it. I will call a couple of suspension vendors and see if they have any suggestions, if not I'll have a low mileage 2012 available for the next lucky owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.