DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can swap out the 345 to a 426 crate engine? If there is, what else is required in order for it to function properly without any problems?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. A swap like this, although cool, would be pointless and incredibly expensive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. A swap like this, although cool, would be pointless and incredibly expensive.
I just googled the prices, that is crazy expensive!! :158: I would have a hard time putting $15k into a motor on an already powerful truck.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some Challenger guys have done it for about $18K.

·
Registered
938 Posts
You can put a jet turbine in a sedan (seriously) with enough money, time, and tools. But why?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
A 5.7 based 392 is the way to go. Been done several times.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does anyone know if you can swap out the 345 to a 426 crate engine? If there is, what else is required in order for it to function properly without any problems?
im sorry but it says ur 20 yrs old, just hit the lottery or something just curious cause i didnt have a pot to piss in when i was 20 and hell yes im nosey just in case u invented a money machine or something

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yes you can, but with lots of modifications. The timing cover and alternater/airconditioning brackets are different and the 6.1 pulleys don't allign with the 5.7 pulleys. It would be easier to just go with a 5.7 stroker motor. For instance I beleive you can turn a 5.7 into a 3.92 with a 4.050" crankshaft or a 6.1 into a 426 with the same. I myself wouldn't go over a 4" stroke on these hemis because of the skirting (lower piston wall) coming out of the block too far. It can be done and they do it with confidence but the wear on the pistons and walls would be greater than in 4" and lower. However and I don't know which ones do if they do, they can raise the wrist pins up by .050 to compensate for the skirting coming out too far. So for instance Manley, Scat, Bryant, Callies/Compstar all make this 4.050 crank and stand by it. Compstar makes a 4" but I'm not sure about any of the others. I've heard people going so far with strokes that they have to move the wrist pin into the ring area of the piston. I don't see how they get away with that but they do. Best alterative to all of this if one could afford it is to go with a 6.1 aluminum block but good luck trying to find a stout 4" cs for it. There are so many 4.050 cranks on the shelves for these because of the cast iron blocks but not enough 4" for the aluminum blocks, good luck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
im sorry but it says ur 20 yrs old, just hit the lottery or something just curious cause i didnt have a pot to piss in when i was 20 and hell yes im nosey just in case u invented a money machine or something
Lol, you have a point but there's a guy Garner on here that at 16 could have bought two of your trucks so ya never know. Even so, there's nothing wrong with wanting to know even if he's just dreaming.

·
Registered
179 Posts
At some point in time we all dream about having the money to put in our trucks to make them the ultimate trucks in our eyes

·
Registered
98 Posts
A lot cheaper to put a Supercharger in and gain more RWHP than a stock SRT8 Challanger/Charger. You could add long tube headers and a cat back system to gain a little more and still be well under what it would cost to do a whole engine swap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hard work with wisely spent money is how it's done

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
If your thinking about doing this to a 2012 then its not money well spent lol sorry but buy something light and you can make it was faster and then pull it with the truck.

When i see neons running 9's at the track it would piss me off that there were beating my 50k truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot cheaper to put a Supercharger in and gain more RWHP than a stock SRT8 Challanger/Charger. You could add long tube headers and a cat back system to gain a little more and still be well under what it would cost to do a whole engine swap.
To be honest with you i was thinking a giant turbo would do. I've seen supercharged trucks get smoked by turbo trucks too many times

1 - 20 of 32 Posts