DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 1500 that howls while driving. Replaced both front hubs and enough of the noise went away to realize what’s still there is coming from the rear end. It get louder the faster I driver and when I let off it gets quiter. I hear there is a recall to get a plug in the back plate of the diff to check fluids. I still only have the Allen bit plugs. When I cracked the top one oil flowed out. It was light in color, smelt fresh and no shavings or debris. Crack the lower nut enough to get a small amount to look at and it was good as well. Not sure where to go from here without taking it to a mechanic which good ones where I’m at is hard to find. Plus I don’t have the money. Oh and got around 118k

·
Registered
603 Posts
Apparently truckntool did not read your post , maybe you have a rear wheel bearing going bad, it would be best to remove the differential cover and inspect the inner workings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bad if there is fluid that would be a bearing .wife has an escalade that howls in 4high and swore it was dry but its not it just lets you know audibly how slick GM !the lighted dash button wasnt enough.No dude is rite howling at speed with gear oil is a bearing issue or issue(s).or bent axle but that would be more a wobble howl.let it bitch till it sounds crunchie and tear it apart and rebuild it all the way through.years of worry free hard use.being cheap and only doing bearings and seals will come back on you.and usally in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
492 Posts
A bearing doesn't usually get quieter when you coast.You may have a bad bearing but what I would say is a worn/bad gear pattern.Bad news is that if I'm right even if you replace the bad bearing you will still have the noise.Once the crown and pinion gear get to the point where they're making noise no amount of adjustment will get rid of it.A gear set change is the cure at that point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts