DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just read some articles regarding the 2013 1500 and the new "Stop - Start" system.

Apparently, the "Stop - Start" system "turns the engine off at a complete stop - at a stoplight for instance - then restarts it the instant you lift your foot off the brake pedal" according to The Car Connection website.

Surely they don't actually mean that the engine turns completely off.

Surely.

Unless they've figured out a way to start the engine without using the starter, this is a monumentally bad idea.

For example, I currently use the starter once on my daily trek to work. Using this new system I would use the starter at least 16 times. If traffic is heavy, 30 to 50 times. Obviously this would shorten the life of the starter incredibly.

Does this also mean it would (re)start the engine while in gear?

I admit it - I must be missing something. They must not mean they're turning the engine "off". But, every article I've read says that specifically.

I'm glad I got the 2012.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Hopefully there is the option to turn this 'feature' off. I too am a bit concerned as to how this will affect the life of the starter motor.....not to mention the startup lag as the computer pauses slightly to ensure the oil pressure is up.....or worse.....if it doesn't. LOL

I'm sure the government thought this this through carefully before they pressured the manufactures to install systems like this; like the traction control system. Oh right; we can't fully disable that! :doh:

As of now, I'm not liking this concept to much.

DRIVERS! Start Your Engines.....again...and again...and ag......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes it turns the engine completely off. European cars have been using this for years. All new BMW's have this feature. Chevy had a truck that did this several years agao. It's nothing new, just new to the Ram.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
It wouldn't work in Los Angeles traffic during rush hours
Dead battery would be in your future, even if the starter held up
Another thing would be lack of A/C during the hot months in that same traffic

Just yesterday i sat on the Interstate 5 & 605 in stop & go traffic for at least 2 hours & it was Not rush hour

·
Registered
69 Posts

Just yesterday i sat on the Interstate 5 & 605 in stop & go traffic for at least 2 hours & it was Not rush hour
I live in NY and we get the same type of traffic, there has to be more to this ....I hope, glad I just got a 2011 leftover

·
Registered
46 Posts

In situations like that it would not shut off. There are a lot of parameters built in. I'm pretty familiar with BMW's system and the Ram's will probably be similar. If you're using your A/C, system voltage is low, coolant temp is low, etc., it will not shut off. Not that I like it, but give it a few years and every new vehicle will have it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is exactly my concerns.

I dont really care if Bimmers are doing it.

I sure dont want my truck stopping and starting when in 4x4 mode on a beach somewhere when I am stuck......

Too much to possibly go wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is exactly my concerns.

I dont really care if Bimmers are doing it.

I sure dont want my truck stopping and starting when in 4x4 mode on a beach somewhere when I am stuck......

Too much to possibly go wrong.
I agree with you, I don't want it and wouldn't order a vehicle with it if I have a choice. But, you can disable it with the push of a button so you don't have to worry about it. I wouldn't be surprised if putting it in 4wd disables it as well. I'm sure tow/haul mode will. It's not that big of deal, it's there for people who want it. It's gonna be a class first though, and I'm sure it will help sell some more Rams, and pull people over from the dark side (F150).

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Wow, in traffic every morning here for at least an hour and must come to a complete stop at least 30-40 times during my morning and evening trek. there must be some sort of time delay before it shuts it off, like you been sitting same place for a few minutes or something. I wouldn't want that option on my truck

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm all for saving fuel, but not at this cost. What if I'm stopped and I need to move NOW.....oh yeah...gotta wait for the engine to start....SMASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Found this info on BMW's website:

A clever way to save fuel: the Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine each time the vehicle comes to a complete halt - such as at traffic lights - and restarts it automatically. A reduction in fuel consumption is the result.

The principle is simple: if the engine is not running, it cannot consume fuel. The Auto Start Stop function turns off the engine whenever it is not needed. In a traffic jam or in stop-and-go traffic, simply putting your BMW into neutral and taking your foot from the clutch will activate the function. "Start Stop" on the Info Display signals that the engine has been turned off.
To set off again, just put your BMW back into gear: the moment you depress the clutch, the engine immediately springs back to life and you can drive on without a moment's delay.
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.
The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.
Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
When used consistently, the Auto Start Stop function delivers significant reductions in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
It would be like driving an oversized Golf Cart
It is just like the golf cart thing... my buddy just got a 2012 Mercedes CLS 63 and it has this... when you stop.. it just shuts off.... and when you go.. it just fires up... kinda weird actually cuz its a totally different sound than first startup.... I imagine it would be a similar system......

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
And what happens when you lift your foot off the brake for a second just to rest your foot? The engine starts then a second later shuts off? This is ridiculous IMO...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I had a stop and start YEARS ago....if I took my foot off the gas it would cut out at every stoplight/stopsign....then I traded it in ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts