DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Has anyone experienced this with their 2013 Cummins Automatic transmissions? When I'm driving down the road, accelerating at half throttle or so, when the truck wants to shift from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 5th, the engine will rev up an additional 200 rpm's before shifting into the appropriate gear. For example, its in 3rd gear, wants to shift at 2,000 rpm's, the truck will rev up to 2,200 rpm's before going to 4th gear at around 1,600 rpm's.

I've taken it to the dealership twice and they are completely stumped. They told me that it is just the way the new trucks shift, and that there is nothing wrong with my truck. I'm about ready to shove this truck back in their face because I guarantee Ford and Chevy transmissions don't slip like this. I know that with all of the electronics these days, the problem might not be with the transmission but with the computer.

My other question is that how many times do I have to send this truck into the dealership before I can call it a lemon. This is obviously last resort, but I don't want to drive a brand new truck with shifting problems like this.

·
8,073 Posts
Since your truck is a 2500 it has the same 68rfe transmission as my '12 3500 so essentially it should run exactly the same. And I can tell you that my truck doesn't do anything like that. It just grabs the next gear, and keeps pulling.... The only time my truck jumps up like that is if I'm going up hill and it needs to downshift. Then the torque converter unlocks so the RPM jumps for a sec before it locks back up and continues to pull like the beast it is.

I'm going to say there's definitely something wrong with your transmission. I wouldn't go as far as to say your whole truck is a lemon... just the tranny. It could be something as simple as a shift solenoid but my guess is that it's something more inside the transmission. So don't let your dealership tell you that's typical for all the new trucks, that's BS! If that's what they think, tell them to let you jump in one of their trucks on the lot and see if that one does it. They're just trying to get out of having to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I do realize that the whole truck isn't a lemon. But I'm just trying to figure out a way for them to get off their ass and fix it.

I dropped it off yesterday to get the radio replaced because that has been failing on me. While I was there, I asked them about the claim for my transmission. His BS response was "yeah, Chrysler realizes their is an issue, and that other trucks are seeing similar problems, but they don't have a solution yet". Which again, makes me believe that he is yanking my chain and isn't really motivated to get this fixed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2013 3500 is doing the same thing (acts like the tranny is slipping when shifting up). Haven't said anything to the dealer yet, as I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I briefly had a 2012 3500 which had a lot more positive shift. I don't know if it has the same rear end or not...the 2013 window sticker says it's a 3:42. That might have something to do with the way it shifts. It seems to shift better if I get on it a little.

·
8,073 Posts
My 2013 3500 is doing the same thing (acts like the tranny is slipping when shifting up). Haven't said anything to the dealer yet, as I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I briefly had a 2012 3500 which had a lot more positive shift. I don't know if it has the same rear end or not...the 2013 window sticker says it's a 3:42. That might have something to do with the way it shifts. It seems to shift better if I get on it a little.
All 2013 2500/3500 Cummins SWR have 3.42 gears. 3.73's were standard on a '12 so I'd assume that's what yours had. That wouldn't make a difference in the transmission shifting though.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am not saying this is normal at all but I wonder if this is Ram's attempt to make the 2500 shifts while not in tow haul mode more... driver friendly? I know from owning my 2012 Cummins it would grab every gear without hesitation.

I wonder...

Have either of you tried running around in Tow/Haul and seeing if the transmission has the same shifts?

Also does the truck noticeably jerk when it shifts after the RPMs jump a bit or is the tach the only way to tell?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I have issues I usually call Dodge Ram Customer care, first you have to register than file complaint so they have a record of the problem and tell them about the dealer's answer to your problem. If it is an unusual problem they will contact the dealer to take care of it. I now go to them before I even talk to a dealer. the phone # is 1-866-726-4636

·
8,073 Posts
I just read a post on Cumminsforum tonight about a guy having the same issue. He ended up putting an aftermarket deep pan on his transmission that could hold around 4 qts more (I think he said it took 13 to fill the tranny) and apparently that got rid of his issue. Not really sure why... Without looking at it my guess is that maybe there's something up with the pick up location or depth. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the forum, I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins with 6k miles. I have had transmission issues since it was brand new. It has been back to the dealer 5 times, last visit I was told it was a valve body in the transmission and it was a widespread problem and the parts were on back ordered. The shifting issue is worse when pulling trailers sounds like whole under carriage is coming apart. Part has been on order for a month!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 diesel with a little over 18,000 miles on it. The problem is the transimission shifting. When it is downshifting from low speeds (say, around 25 to zero), it feels like the entire transmission/rear end is gong to shake loose from the truck. To get a better idea of the "feel", if you've ever worked on a tranny that had hard shifting and you "adjusted the bands", then you have an idea of the feel, but much harder. I've had it to the dealter 4 times. They have done software updates, and re-set the software to "learn". Nothing has worked. I drove a 2014, and if mine shifted like it did, I would not be on the forum. I'm about to go through customer care and lemon the truck. Would much prefer not to. Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Dave, sorry for the late response. Just now saw this thread. Have any luck yet getting your problem fixed? Do you know specifically which shift(s) are harsh? I presume the harsh shift is at closed throttle (coasting down to a stop)? Or is it when you step on it (at low speeds) and get a kickdown?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Ram 2500...bad rear end, bad tranny

I feel for all you guys here. My 2013 Ram, 2500 has 7k miles on it. Had a vibration from the start and got worse. Also had weird shifting issues. Over rev between 3rd and 4th...clunk into 3rd gear. Took it in to dealer. Rear end was shot. Chunks of metal in the oil. Said it was set up wrong at the factory. Rebuilt entire rear end. Still had noise. Replaced all U-joints. Still had noise. Replaced entire read end. 29 days straight in the shop. Gave it back to me. Fixed the noise. But it still had same shifting issues. Took it back in. After 2 days said the tranny had issues. Ordered parts but on back order. Will be another 7 days or more in shop. Filing Lemon law claim as soon as I get it back. Law says 30 days in shop or 4 attempts to fix the problem. Might go for the 6.4 gas or even a Chevy. Maybe a Ford? Can't believe I said that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with 10K miles on it. I was told the tranny was a complete different tranny than the previous years. My tranny shifts the exact same way that crsby34 above describes his shifting. Except mine revs approx 200-300 RPM during the slipping shift. I just had them reset the tranny codes and was told to drive it like hell for 200-300 miles. I drove it regular today and already it slips between the shifting. The reset did crap. That's why I thought I would come out here to the internet and see what I can do about it if anything. Been a Ford guy all my life and this is the first Dodge. Great truck but the tranny sucks.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
On some shifts, it is NORMAL for the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) to unlock (at least partially) before the shift, and then re-lock after the shift. It depends on vehicle speed and throttle position (and the particular shift) whether you get an unlock or not, so it may not seem consistent.

If you are concerned, have your dealer tech ride with you with a scan tool, displaying current gear, target gear, and TCC status. That will show you exactly what is going on. If the TCM/PCM is commanding TCC unlock (or partial lock) during the shift, then there is not a problem with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
'On some shifts, it is NORMAL for the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) to unlock (at least partially) before the shift, and then re-lock after the shift. It depends on vehicle speed and throttle position (and the particular shift) whether you get an unlock or not, so it may not seem consistent.'

Now that I have a few miles on mine, I don't notice the unlock/re-lock. Coming from a GM Allison, it's seemed strange at first. Really is dependent on Throttle position from what I've seen. I'm not worried about it, but was concerned as the Ram tranny's have a bad rap on the Duramax forums where I come from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TransEngineer, I had the dealer make an appointment for the tech to drive with me like you suggested. With his computer hooked up we went for a drive. He told me the transmission would rev about 200 RPM max. I told him my tranny now revs 400-500 RPM. He said no way that could happen. We pulled over after about 3 miles and plenty of shifts. The highest one on his computer was 425 RPM jump during the locking and unlocking crap. It gets even worse when I tow and the tow/haul mode is "ON". This whole thing just sucks. He told me there are a lot of complaints with this locking and unlocking with the high revs. He thought there might be a code change before the end of the year. My PCM code is 32370231AI. Can you tell me if they have come out with another code yet above this one and if there is a "shift improvement" listed on the upgrades? Thanks

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
TransEngineer, I had the dealer make an appointment for the tech to drive with me like you suggested. With his computer hooked up we went for a drive. He told me the transmission would rev about 200 RPM max. I told him my tranny now revs 400-500 RPM. He said no way that could happen. We pulled over after about 3 miles and plenty of shifts. The highest one on his computer was 425 RPM jump during the locking and unlocking crap. It gets even worse when I tow and the tow/haul mode is "ON". This whole thing just sucks. He told me there are a lot of complaints with this locking and unlocking with the high revs. He thought there might be a code change before the end of the year. My PCM code is 32370231AI. Can you tell me if they have come out with another code yet above this one and if there is a "shift improvement" listed on the upgrades? Thanks
The shift "flare" complaint (due to TCC partial unlock) was on 2013 trucks. 2014 trucks already have the "fix" that reduced the amount of "flare." So to my knowledge there is no further update (for this issue) for 2014s.

400+ RPM does sound like more engine speed rise than I would expect. Do you know whether the TCC was going to partial lock, or completely unlocking? 400+ RPM sounds like it went to unlock, rather than partial lock. But maybe you are also getting some turbine speed flare during the shift (that is, maybe some of the "flare" is slip within the converter, and some of it is slip within the trans). Does your tech's recording include turbine (trans input) speed? Can he graph that, to see if the turbine speed flares during the shift? It should just be rising slowly (along with output speed) as the truck accelerates, and then DROP during the shift. If you are getting turbine speed flare during the shift, then I'd suggest quick-learning the trans and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to all this new stuff. I know he was pointing out to me on the graph (on his laptop) when the tranny was locking and unlocking but it didn't mean anything to me. He did see the flare (he called it a flare) and the 400 RPM jump. They have reset the code to learn two times and it still does it. The last time they said to drive the hell out of the truck so it shifts harder. I did that for 300 miles and it didn't change one thing. I've had Fords all my life and the only problem I ever had on those were brakes wearing early. I changed to Dodge at the beginning of the year for my first one and it is the worst decision I have ever made. Thanks again for your help I appreciate it. I probably got more attention from you out here than at the dealership that just doesn't care. You can tell by their attitudes when I kept calling and they just said they can't do anything about it. Jeff

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to all this new stuff. I know he was pointing out to me on the graph (on his laptop) when the tranny was locking and unlocking but it didn't mean anything to me. He did see the flare (he called it a flare) and the 400 RPM jump. They have reset the code to learn two times and it still does it. The last time they said to drive the hell out of the truck so it shifts harder. I did that for 300 miles and it didn't change one thing. I've had Fords all my life and the only problem I ever had on those were brakes wearing early. I changed to Dodge at the beginning of the year for my first one and it is the worst decision I have ever made. Thanks again for your help I appreciate it. I probably got more attention from you out here than at the dealership that just doesn't care. You can tell by their attitudes when I kept calling and they just said they can't do anything about it. Jeff
Hmmm... if they've already quicklearned it, then that won't help. If the TCC is completely unlocking, then a 400 RPM rise would not be unusual. But I don't think it should fully unlock for a normal upshift (if the throttle is being held fairly constant).

Do they have a similar truck you could compare yours with? Your RPM rise sounds high, but then again if it's higher than target, I would expect it to set some kind of fault eventually. And you have no faults, correct?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts