DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The only 8-speed trans that is currently in production in Chrysler vehicles (now offered in the 300, and Dodge Charger, with V6 engines) is the ZF 8HP45 model. It is not a Fiat / Lancia transmission (although it may be used in some of those models, I don't know).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Lots of talk about this high zoot transmission, but the more I've read in other sources about it, it sounds like a good car transmission but maybe not so great a truck tranny. I think there have been more examples of more car oriented trannies turned truck trannies being very problematic over the last 20 or so years. Seems like ever since the oil embargo of the '70's, manufacturers have stumbled quite a bit trying to adapt car-like auto trannies for real truck use. Frankly, I don't think you can save enough money on gas compared to huge auto tranny repair bills for the small difference a tougher tranny impacts fuel mileage. Now, for those who just use their pickups like a car, I guess it should be fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trans engineer, if possible can you drop strong hints to your bosses that they should put the 66rfe in the 2013 hemi 1500's. Explain how so many on this forum are clamoring for a true 6 speed with the hemi and would pay a premium to get it! Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Speak for yourself about paying a premium. :LOL:These trucks cost enough already. I am happy with the present transmission I have in my Laramie as it shifts great if you know how to use the features.

Jim in Pa

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^I'm with lucky. I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars more for the 68rfe (I think that's what he meant anyway....I think the 66rfe is what's in the 2012 1500's which is the same as the 545rfe).

My reasoning really has nothing to do with the way it shifts, but what I want is the better and evenly distributed gear ratios. Being a more durable trans is a bonus (not that I'm complaining about my 545rfe's durability...).

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I understand this isn't a factory option, or even cheap... but Gear Vendors has an overdrive/underdrive that will split each gear. I run one and love it.
Joe

·
Registered
153 Posts
snrusnak,
It replaces the tail housing of the transmission with a unit that splits every gear. Instead of having 4 gears I actually have 8 if I want them. In all reality my first gear is so quick I never split that so really I only use 7 of them. The most used are splitting 3rd and 4th depending on application and towing. Either way I have the luxury of having 4.56's with 30.5" tires that when I split 4th gear it drops my rpm's so I can drive faster on the freeway at lower RPM's. Or if I'm racing I click off 1st, second, second over, third and I'm done with the 1/4 mile before having to go into 3rd over. If I'm towing I can go into third over which gives me more torque than overdrive at less rpm then 3rd. Neat unit IF it fit's your purpose.

Just fyi it uses it's own self contained fluid, this fluid engages the clutches at speeds over 45mph. Fluid change is recommended at 5000 miles for severe towing duty, more miles for less severe duty. High torque and racing doesn't count as severe duty since the base unit holds 1400 horsepower. They can build stronger if you need it.
Joe

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Gear Vendors is about 2 miles from me, as the crow flies, right next to the Gillespie Field airport

Our transmissions are based on the 45RFE & their kit is made for the 47RH for gasoline engines & 47RE for diesels, 4 speed auto. It is basically a old 727 automatic transmission with an overdrive tail shaft bolted on

http://www.gearvendors.com/d2wd4s.html

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I was always wondering why no manufacturer offered a 2 speed gear ratio in the differential. This is an even better/simpler idea. If the product was worth it and the price fair, I'd buy this before changing gear ratios...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts