DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All , i have a 2013 ram laramie , owned it since new and have been dealing with a lack of heat on the driver side since last winter , the passenger side heat is hot , but maybe not as hot as it could be, the fan seems to blow a bit harder or better as well on the passenger side , the heat on the driver side is a bit less than luke warm but not ice cold. the truck has dual climate control if i turn the driver temp down it will get colder , when i turn it back up it only rises to slightly warmer than cold , today i took the truck in and had the cooling system flushed, hoping that would help , but its still the same.
i have checked with the local dealerships and other repair shops in the area and have been told this is a 2 thousand dollar repair, and that regardless the diagnosis and or repair will be in around 2k. last year when the problem first began i was able to turn down the driverside temp setting , then turn off the truck , re start and turn up the driverside setting then the heat would be fine, but after doing this a number of times it stopped correcting the problem.
i live in northern canada and its -30 , if i drive in the city its bearable but i do a lot of hwy driving and on the highway it gets really cold in the truck, last night my phone froze driving on the hwy for 1-1/2 hrs. if anyone has any suggestions to repair this please let me know , thanks

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
First thing to do is to see where the heat comes out when the Ram is warmed up

Does the climate control blower speed change when you turn the knob or use the touch screen radio controls ?

Do you have decent heat coming out of anywhere ?

Does it come out of the defrost ?
Does it come out of both center dash vents ?
Does it come out of both floor vents ?
Does it come out of the rear seating area ?

Another thing, does your Ram have the full floor console ?
Do you have the 8.4 radio ?
Do you have the Rotory Knob shifter ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blower speed is adjusted using the knob in the center of the dash

decent heat out of the passenger side on all vents defrost and rear
very cool heat and less fan flow through driverside on all vents , defrost and rear.

all heater controls for vents, defrost , recirc, floor seem to be cycling on demand as required controlled through the touch screen , the temp settings can be controlled through the touchscreen or via the red blue up down buttons on the dash , with a set of buttons for each side

it has the full center console.
it has the shifter not the knob
it has the 8.4 radio touchscreen

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
so the blower works in all positions & from low to high speeds
It does have decent heat but only on the passenger side

That tells me a lot about what is happening
The system has 3 actuators that move panels inside of the climate control system
It seems that one of the actuators that is behind & slightly below your glove compartments is functioning properly.

That leaves 1 of the 2 actuators that are below the radio & manual climate control knobs could be your problem.

Where is your shifter, on the steering column or in the full floor console ?

If the shifter is in the floor console, what you have to do to trouble shoot the system is slightly different

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
WOW !!

It sounds like you have this type of shifter ?

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
The ash tray is a expensive mopar accessory
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ok ..

where you see my CB radio in the front of the floor console
You will have a rubber mat, just lift it out, there are 2 screws under the mat, you will be removing them, don't lose them.
Set the E Brake & Start the ram & shift the shifter to neutral or drive, shut the truck off.

Now open the console arm rest boxes

Next take preferably Plastic tool, Harbor Freight has a set of plastic trim tools for less then $20, you can also find them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
auto parts stores charge way to much for the same tools
Those plastic trim tools are very handy for working on your Ram, under the hood & in the interior
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+trim+tools&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjswtOAovvfAhWCGTQIHfyEDJQQ_AUIDygC&biw=1333&bih=655

Starting at any corner of the chrome ring on the top of the console pry the ring up a bit & work your way around the ring until you can pop it off & set it aside
Next you can do the whole top of the console the same way as you did with the ring, there are 3 clips per side

If you want to set it aside, look at the shifter knob, there is a chrome ring at the bottom
If you carefully use something to pry that chrome ring down, you can see how the whole shifter lifts off

That may be all you have to do to the floor console to start the next step
This video shows most of what you need to do to access the actuators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYvk4sK3eP8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you think i should order the 2 actuators and that mopar ashtray and give it a shot , you think thats what the problem is?

i forgot to mention if i put the recirc on , after a short period of time it will get warmer heat on the driver side, cant leave it on recirc though because the windows fog up.
thanks for the info, i appreciate your help

·
Premium Member
32,574 Posts
I would wait to see if it is indeed an actuator motor
They are fairly cheap & the dealership parts dept. should have them in stock
The same part should still be in the brand new FCA vehicles & it has been in use since maybe before 2009

this will be quite similar to yours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN6otxId5s

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the heater core is the issue for no heat on the driver side see this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfFnC0hayyw,
in the video he talks about the passenger side but i think for trucks it maybe the opposite.
first thing i did was switch the two hoses at the water pump to reverse the flow , after that i had heat on both sides for about 5 mins, then it went cold again, i then proceeded to take off both hoses filled the heater core with windshield washer fluid and blew it out with air 20 lbs alternating between the hoses , tons of dirt came out i put it back together and now i have heat on both sides pass and driver side , the reason i used air and windshiled washer fluid is that it is -35 C here and anything else would freeze , i think there is likely more dirt in there , once i can get it in a heated shop with water i will flush it with a garden hose , but this seems to be working for the time being.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts