DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 hemi CC with 17" wheels, i was wondering if anyone has pics of those wheels plastidipped in black, my truck is black, i want to do the badges also... I have the chrome door moldings that were installed from the factory, not sure if i should dip those too, or if they'd look nice with the rest blacked out...

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Dipping is the way to go. It's durable and if you don't like it, you can always peel it off. If you want to get rid of the chrome for a little money, dip it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is a 2008 Big Horn with the 20" wheels. So, can't help with your specific model, but maybe gives you an idea of what a black Ram looks like with black plastidip (awesome in my opinion!). Sorry, you'll have to parse them together in your imagination - can't figure out how to get the file size down so had to crop the picture into 2 parts.

Side note - when you're putting the lug nuts back on, take a razor and cut around the hole on the rim where the lug nut touches the rim. When you get it tight on there, the final turn to tighten all the way can twist the plastidip and pull it off the rim - not sure if that makes sense. Happened to me though and had to pull the wheel off and re-touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think I read somewhere that you need almost a can per wheel. 5 to be on the safe side to do 4 wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't say how well they're holding up to the snow and salt, as I've been in Austin for this winter, but I will say that I've power washed them at the self wash plenty of times with no signs of peeling or anything.

I used either 4 or 5 cans, can't quite remember - did the inside of the wheels too so the outside wasn't black and inside looking through the "spokes" silver/grey, and remember trying to stretch the last can pretty far. I think I did about 7 coats on each wheel. At about $7 per can, might as well grab 5 and spray till it's gone.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yeah, when I priced it out, it was like $100 for 5 cans with shipping. Crazy. :O(

·
Registered
162 Posts
I picked up my aerosol cans for about $5.50 each at Lowes...

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Thankfully I am only 1 hour from the border. I grab a few cans every time I am over there. I did my Rims/grill/bumpers and emblems. holds up good in the salt and winter but I will do the rims again in the spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts