DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1500 V-6 4x4 (3.6 with 8 speed transmission) will suddenly and without any warning lights simply "turn off" !!!!
I can dial the transmission to neutral and restart immediately and carry on but what a shocker.... and no I don't have electronic steering - I actually have a mechanical steering mechanism under the hood.

It usually happens when coasting around a corner (right or left doesn't seem to matter) like at an uncontrolled intersection. After it had done it the first time it was months before it happened again. Yesterday it happened 4 times in about 3 hours.

One of the times yesterday it finally gave me a check engine light so I will explore the code to get a clue what is going on however if anyone out there has experienced this freek show shutdown issue - please tell me if you found a fix?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - so a friend of mine uses Ram trucks for his business and told me all his RAM trucks that were between 2012 and 2014 (6 or 8 cyl - doesn't matter) have all had this same mystery issue.
Can't find anything from Chrysler but he simply replaced his ignition switch (and of course had to reprogram their fobs) and it apparently solved his issue.
Need to speak to my dealership service manager and see if it's a "thing" with these vehicles.

I'd still like to hear from some of you guys that may have had this issue?
Unfortunately it's happened twice today. Still haven't read that code yet but my mechanic feels the codes may all be false if it's the ignition issue I've been told about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I usually have a "jailers ring" of other keys that hang off my fob while in the ignition. I have driven the last few days with only the fob (other keys detached and in my cup holder) and no issues with random shut downs.

A wood miller in Mission BC has a 2014 Ram 1500 that has had 2 new ignitions due to this same thing. He only drives with the fob now too.

A new ignition and new fobs ( should my existing ones not program correctly) can cost me upwards of $600.

Better than being stuck in the back country with a truck that won't start I guess. Because apparently that is what I can expect to happen next with the old faulty one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts